My feed

to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.


Pregnancy sickness- when to go to hospital for IV drip

16 replies

bluemonday2020 · 11/06/2020 10:19

Hello ladies. I am 9w+6 and have been suffering from nausea and sickness for 4/5 weeks now. Most days I only throw up 2 times, however this week has been full on with nausea and throwing up. I was sick 3 times yesterday and 3 times this morning already and it is not 11am yet. I really feel exhausted and dehydrated (chapped lips, dry mouth, headache) and wonder if I should get myself to the hospital for an IV drip. How bad should it get before I can go? I am worried I won’t be taken seriously and will be made to wait for ages in the ER. If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know xxx

OP posts:
Superscientist · 11/06/2020 10:26

Speak to your gp, they will be able to prescribe anti nausea medication and run some tests for dehydration.

In the meantime sips of any drinks you can manage and try foods with higher water content like fruits or soup if you can cope with that.

I would be reaching out to medical professionals today if you are getting symptoms of dehydration and struggling or keep things down.

LashesZ · 11/06/2020 10:28

Go to your GP, they will check your urine for ketones to see if you are dehydrated and arrange for an admission if required. They will be able to prescribe anti sickness meds but me mindful that they do not always work, I had 3 different types before I found one that settled it so don't be afraid to go back to the GP if your initial meds don't work. I hope it eases for you x

acquiescence · 11/06/2020 10:29

An IV drip would be appropriate if you are unable to hold any liquids at all. If you are only throwing up 2-3 times per day are you able to keep fluids down in between this?
Your GP can order blood tests to check if you are dehydrated. I would suggest calling your GP to discuss. Have you tried a range of anti sickness medications to try to find one that works?

bluemonday2020 · 11/06/2020 10:58

Thank you for your responses. My gp was pretty dismissive when I called 4 weeks ago during a day when I had thrown up 7 times. I had asked for medicine and he told me that there isn’t any he can give me. He only made me come in for a urine test to check for an UTI and that was negative. Have been trying to cope on my own since without medication but can try calling again.

OP posts:
MrsJamieLWeir · 11/06/2020 11:18

Hey :) I’m 9+1 and went to hospital last week. I rung 111 first as I couldn’t keep any food or drink down for a good few weeks and was worried about baby and dehydration and 111 organised a call from an out of hours midwife who advised me to go to a and e. In a and e they took my
Bloods and urine and said keynotes were really high so kept me in on a drip and monitored they key notes. I was able to go home after a day and have been given anti sickness tables which have been a god send... I went to my gp the week before and they were useless. Said it was Covid when it really wasn’t so I would ring 111 or the community midwife specially if you feel dehydrated... so glad when I finally went as I feel I was putting it off for weeks afraid people would just say ‘it’s morning sickness’! Hope that helps? :)

Theyweretheworstoftimes · 11/06/2020 11:30

I had a HG pregnancy and was vomiting circa 50 times a day, I was dismissed by the GP and the midwives several times, they said it was normal.

I waited and waited eventually was carried into A and E unable to walk. The senior A and E doctors tried to send me home without treatment. A nurse saw me in the waiting room and put me on a drip and ran some tests as she had HG in her pregnancies.

Tests results were so bad they woke the OBs/ Gyn specialist at 2 am and I was admitted to hospital. I was 8 weeks pregnant, I was sick until 6 hours after the baby was born. I had to learn to walk again as I was so weak.

I was so lucky that nurse advocated for me. I will never forget her. Without her I would have died.

The hospital said it was one of the worst cases they had seen and all the students were sent to see me to study to learn more about it.

If you feel you need emergency care then go to the emergency room.

Superscientist · 11/06/2020 11:32

Things change in 4 weeks, I would try your gp again or your midwife if you have their contact details. Have a look on your gp surgery website and see if any of the gps at your surgery have women's health as a specialism to see if you could get an appointment with them.

maybemaybeII · 11/06/2020 11:37

Try the GP again and demand some drugs. I don't think you'll be given IV drip at the hospital.

In my first pregnancy I was throwing up so much I tore my oesophagus and was vomiting blood, everything smelled rancid and I could barely leave my bed. I didn't know it at the time but it was hyperemesis. I was offered some medication in later pregnancies.

Good luck OP! I know how unpleasant it can all be Thanks

Literaryseed · 11/06/2020 12:01

I agree go back to your GP. I was throwing up more than 10 times a day and didn't need hospital treatment but did take anti sickness drugs from 8 weeks.

Ginfilledcats · 11/06/2020 12:04

When I was suffering with HE at 6 weeks I called the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit and they admitted me from there, 24 hrs on a drip, some anti sickness and anti clotting drugs administered then a prescription on discharge for anti sickness tablets. Never saw my GP x

2many2count2020 · 11/06/2020 12:05

If GP is being difficult check out the pregnancy sickness support website for some information you can arm yourself with. They can be very reluctant to prescribe depending on who you see.
The hyperemisis thread in pregnancy here on MN also very helpful support. Hope you feel better soon, I know how tough it is.

EveningReflection · 11/06/2020 12:10

I would ask for an appointment with a female GP at your surgery. Also research pregnancy anti sickness meds on nhs website first. Often GPs arent very clued up. Im on Xonvea (GP had never heard of it) its licensed for pregnant women. Each pill even has an image of a pregnant lady stamped on it, so the GP saying theres nothing suitable is wrong. There are stronger medications they can give too, but I dont know much about those.

IndieRo · 11/06/2020 12:18

I would contact the maternity hospital. My sil had hyperemesis gravidarium, it was horrible to see her so ill. She was admitted and put on the drip a few times whilst pregnant. I hope you will feel better soon Flowers

bluemonday2020 · 12/06/2020 09:52

Hi ladies, thank you for your advice and kind support, I really appreciate it. I ended up calling my midwife team who told me to go to A&E as it wasn’t too busy. They did a test on my ketones which was fine but also did blood tests and a scoring test for hyperemesis to which I must have scored quite badly as they decided to let me stay for 3h for some IVs including vitamins, minerals and an anti-sickness iv drip. I felt so much better during the drip and everyone was so kind to me at the hospital, I am really happy I went. They have now prescribed me cyclizine and prochlorperazine, fingers crossed it works. I am so happy that they took me seriously and still feel annoyed with the original GP who dismissed my concerns.

OP posts:
Theyweretheworstoftimes · 12/06/2020 09:58

Glad you got sorted. Unfortunately GP's can be dismissive about pregnancy sickness and in some cases can be dangerous.

The only time I felt ok when I was on a drip so be aware you may feel awful even with the anti sickness meds. I struggled to get my GP to prescribe anti sickness meds even after multiple hospital visits.

You may have to be polite but firm. Join the HG board. It was a lifeline for me and what bought me to mumsnet.

Superscientist · 12/06/2020 10:24

I'm glad you've got some help. Sometimes you just need to keep asking. If one person is dismissive try another. I had the opposite my midwife told me to eat a bread stick whereas my gp was helpful.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.