My feed

to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.


Big baby

10 replies

Qwerty1984 · 29/04/2020 19:32

Hi all, I am 39 weeks pregnant today with my first baby. My due date is May 6. At 35 weeks I had a growth scan and the baby was already weighing in at 6lb 12 oz. My husband and I were not particularly big babies. I am 5 ft 3 and was a size 12 before pregnancy. The doctor has recommended an induction on the 1st May due to the size of the baby. I am so confused as to whether I should go ahead with this or let nature take its course. I was hoping for a very natural birth but I am scared of delivering a big baby. I am really confused and looking for advise on whether I should go for an induction sooner rather than waiting for labour to naturally induce in a week or so.

OP posts:
Prontoe · 29/04/2020 19:37

Are you eating a lot of fatty or sweet things? I was told to curb my diet as they thought I'd end up with gestational diabetes. I completely eliminated anything fatty or sugary. She was born 10 days early, but only weighed a tiny 6lbs. Maybe watch your diet?

Mylittlepony374 · 29/04/2020 19:44

My first baby they told me was 11pound based on scans. Scared me into an induction. She was born at 39 weeks on the dot weighing 7 pounds something. (bad mum, can't remember exact weight).
My second baby weighed nearly 6 pound when he arrived early by surprise at 34 weeks- loads of scans, no one picked up that he was (and still is) a little tank.
I'm not sure of accuracy/ margin of error of scan measurements but I'd ask. And I'd ask the consultant/ midwife to talk you through risk of induction vs. risk of waiting for natural labour before you make decision.

Mylittlepony374 · 29/04/2020 19:47

Also, NICE have guidelines on induction of labour that may be worth reading

theginge · 29/04/2020 19:48

I was in exactly the same position as you a 3 weeks ago (I'm also 5"3 and a size 10/12). At 34 weeks it was estimated baby weighed 6lb 2oz. I was booked to be induced at 39 weeks. Thankfully I was already 4cm dilated so only needed my waters to be broken. He was born 3 hours later weighing 10lb 11oz (!!). His shoulders got stuck in my pelvis so he had to be pulled and pushed a bit to get him out. I obviously can't answer your question about a full induction but I did still have a mostly positive birth experience and only gas and air. I'm now 2 weeks post birth and feel like I'm on the way to healing! Good luck!

theginge · 29/04/2020 19:51

Also, I asked what the tolerance was on a growth scan which the midwife said was around 15% either way. For me, it was pretty spot on but it doesn't seem to be the case for everyone.

TheMostHappy · 29/04/2020 20:38

I've had two larger babies. First I was induced because of his size, and the induction completely failed - no contractions no dilation so I ended up having a c-section. He was 10lb on the nose at 40+2. Second Ds I hoped for a vbac until growth scans showed he was another whopper so we scheduled a c-sec and he was born 38+6 9lb 11oz. Lucky really as my uterus was paper thin and would likely have ruptured at c-sec scar during a labour. I realise you hadn't asked for that much info though!Smile

mouse1234567 · 29/04/2020 21:01

Hi I have no experience of this but am watching with interest. My babies belly is on 97th percentile at 32 week scan and estimated 5 pounds already. I was tested for gestational diabetes but apparently I don’t have it. Scared about how big he will be at my next scan at 36 weeks. My hospital says it usually won’t induce early for only a big baby (the would induce early if you had big baby and gestational diabetes Tho). Good luck.

India999 · 29/04/2020 21:05

I was pressured into and induction and wish I hadn't gone for it. However, you NEED to listen to what your doctors say is best for you and the baby. All my growth scans were spot on.

EastMidsMumOf1 · 30/04/2020 13:36

With it being your first I would follow advice of the hospital.
You dont know how your body would handle labour with a normal size baby so I wouldn't take any chances either way tbh.
FWIW my 1st was 7lb 1oz, horrific back to back labour 16hrs+ and ended up with forceps.
2nd baby was a hefty 10lb 4oz (unnoticed in MW appointments so had no idea) nice and quick 5 hour labour with just a TENS machine and gas+air, out the hospital a few hours later - did have a 3rd degree tear but the healing time was quicker than when I had an episiotomy the first time round.

ArchbishopOfBanterbury · 30/04/2020 13:57

Growth scans are notoriously unreliable, and small babies don't mean easy births or vice versa.

It's your choice.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.