My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

How do you know if mozzarella is pasteurised?

9 replies

ZeppyLoo · 07/06/2019 19:25

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before (and I'm sure it has!)

I've had a couple of mozzarella and sun dried tomato wraps from Boots and (I think) Tesco recently, making the assumption that they'd be made from pasteurised milk... but is that a safe assumption to make?? How am I supposed to be sure?

OP posts:
faelavie · 07/06/2019 19:32

Mozzarella is pasteurised and is on the NHS safe list.

ZeppyLoo · 07/06/2019 19:58

Thanks! I know it's in the NHS list providing it's the pasteurised version, but I know it can be made with unpasteurised milk too- is it safe to assume all the UK mozzarella js the pasteurised type?

OP posts:
Teaonthebedsheets · 07/06/2019 19:59

Contact the retailer is the only safe bet. It would usually be pasteurized but if it doesn't say, I'd check.

faelavie · 07/06/2019 20:49

You're not gonna come across unpasteurised mozzarella in a standard shop bought cheese and tomato wrap, or even on a pizza, so don't worry. Unpasteurised mozzarella is not typical, e.g. Buffalo mozzarella and that's super expensive.

ZeppyLoo · 08/06/2019 04:19

Thank you all!

OP posts:
Catneh · 28/01/2021 20:02

Hi sorry to jump on here if the packet doesn’t say pasteurised or not how do you know if it is ? X

Cressie2 · 28/01/2021 20:17

I’ve been eating it all the way through. UK mozzarella is absolutely fine from the shops. You could always good the brand to double check.

Philadelphia cream cheese, Parmesan, cheddar, all fine too.

Catneh · 28/01/2021 20:29

Thank you it doesn’t say I don’t have clue as it’s the Kerbab van cheese just I really wanted cheesy chips from there x

dementedpixie · 28/01/2021 21:37

Do you mean kebab?
They aren't likely to use unpasteurised cheese as it's more expensive.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.