My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Can midwife guess baby size by feeling?

47 replies

needsomesunshineandwine · 06/07/2017 14:11

Can midwife estimate weight by feeling your stomach? How early can they start this?

OP posts:
Thingywhatsit · 10/07/2017 09:08

I was told all along by midwives that baby no 2was gonna be smallish (despite my absolutely massive bump) - probably a 6lber they said! She was 8lb10! to be fair, my gp had said she would be around 8lb so he did fair better in the guessing stakes!

BertrandRussell · 10/07/2017 09:31

There was a fantastic midwife in our town, now retired, brilliant, but bonkers-mother of triplets, well known local character who was amazing at guessing weights. Never more than a few ounces out at 37 weeks. But it was a "gift" she had, I don't think most can do more than an estimate.

Funnyonion17 · 10/07/2017 09:36

Nope, I had tiny bump and I measured 6 weeks behind towards the end. I was told to expect a 7lber, I knew very well I was expecting a whopper and I was right. With my other babies movements were more gentle and I wasn't as breathless.

Userrr141 · 10/07/2017 09:41

Well they measure your bump from about 28 weeks and plot it and each baby starts to follow a curve which tells you what their estimated weight will be. If they think too small or too big you will be sent for growth scans. But obviously lots of factors like waters and previous body size

Ceara · 10/07/2017 09:57

My bump measured small. Growth scans, conversely, predicted 10 lb 4 oz. My experienced mw and my consultant took this all with a pinch of salt, and both independently predicted an averagely sized 7.5 to 8 lb, both prior to and after the measurements. DS was 8 lb 1. Sometimes human skill and experience win out, I guess!

needsomesunshineandwine · 10/07/2017 16:00

Aw wow @stonecircle, did you have natural birth? Was that your first baby?

OP posts:
madmoon · 10/07/2017 16:07

I was told my last dc was about 7lb which was going to be small for me , my others were 8lb 10 oz up to 10lb .
She was born two days before due date weighing in at 4lb 9oz she had nothing as everything I bought her was 0-3 so the hospital lent me some till oh could get to the shops.

needsomesunshineandwine · 10/07/2017 16:15

Wow mad moon, what a difference in weights. Was your bump etc smaller this time round?

OP posts:
FuzzyOwl · 10/07/2017 16:18

They can guess but they have never got mine right and sent me for unnecessarily worrying growth scans.

needsomesunshineandwine · 10/07/2017 16:23

That's it @FuzzyOwl, they can be so wrong and send women into panic and unnecessary stress.

Think I'll just need to stop worrying, wait and see and go with the flow with labour 😰

OP posts:
FuzzyOwl · 10/07/2017 16:36

I would interpret a good size as meaning the baby is not big or small but the right size for your gestation. Although from my experience I have no faith in the fundal measurement (private midwives don't bother with it as it is so inaccurate) or growth scans (which has a 30% margin of error). I figure that if a scan cannot get it right, then someone touching or looking at your stomach is far less likely to!

madmoon · 10/07/2017 16:57

Op my whole pregnancy was different I gained very little weight (around 6 pounds ) and not from dieting ,and had a small bump at full term I only looked 20 weeks.

Silversun83 · 10/07/2017 17:32

No, but consultants can.. I never actually asked during any of my routine midwife appointments, but during a three-day labour with DD and after I finally had an epidural, I asked the midwife if she had any idea.. She said she didn't really but guessed around 7lbs. The consultant who was monitoring me (no progress, baby starting to get distressed), had a 10-second feel of my bump and declared baby was going to be between 8lbs 8oz and 9lbs.. Also took one look at me and said he thought there would be an issue with the head to hip ratio.. Baby was indeed 8lbs 8oz and I ended up having an EMCS...

ButtonMooooon · 10/07/2017 17:40

My DS was breech and when he wouldn't turn the Consultant said I have no idea why, he's quite small. I asked how much roughly as me and my two siblings were over 9lb so that's what I was expecting. He said 7 to 8lb at the very most. DS was born by planned C section 8 days later - weighing 10lb 2oz!!!!! Hmm

Gunpowder · 10/07/2017 17:52

When I was in early labour with DD2 the midwife asked me how big DD1 was and then estimated DD2 would be 100-200g bigger. She was spot on!

harleysmammy · 10/07/2017 20:10

The day before I gave birth to my 9 lb 3 oz baby, the midwife felt my stomach to feel for breech etc and said he felt quite small and she guessed a 7 lb baby..

Weebo · 10/07/2017 20:17

The night my water broke a midwife felt my bump, grimaced and told me he was going to be massive. Really big.

He was 7lbs 11. Much smaller than the grown man I was expecting to give birth too. :o

He was just a lanky wee thing. Don't worry about it.

bakingmad83 · 10/07/2017 20:37

The midwife that delivered my baby guessed 8lb, was 7lb 14oz, maybe it's easier right at the end or hers was just a lucky guess :)

HelsinkiLights · 10/07/2017 20:45

One of my midwives would say "you've got a lovely long 8lb-er in there."
Well I certainly had a long baby (she was all arms & legs) but she only weighed 6lb 12oz.

Aria2015 · 10/07/2017 20:48

Mine told me a few days before I gave birth that I wasn't having a big baby. She was right, he was 7lbs which i was relieved about because babies on my dh's side of the family are massive!

stonecircle · 10/07/2017 21:06

Aw wow @stonecircle, did you have natural birth? Was that your first baby?

Third - and easiest! 70 minute labour. No pain relief. Thing is, it's the head that's the difficult bit and his was no bigger than his brothers' (who weighed 9.5 and 8.12). But goodness he was fat - like a little Buddha! (He's now a slim 6' 4" 18 year old!)

needsomesunshineandwine · 11/07/2017 08:56

Aw bless, I keep praying my 3rd labour will be ok, keep reading they can be unpredictable.

Will find out soon enough.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.