My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Baby changing bag, worth the money?

73 replies

WantingBaby1 · 27/02/2017 13:38

Is it worth buying a baby changing bag? I've got lots of big handbags which are a lot nicer than the affordable changing bags, and I'm wondering whether to just use one of those rather than a designated changing bag. Surely if I have a slip in divider a large normal handbag would be fine? If not, do you have any recommendations? Looking to spent less than £100. Thanks Smile

----------------------

Hello, this thread is quite old so some of the product recommendations are a little out of date. There are lots of differing opinions on whether changing bags are really worth the investment. Some MNners recommend using an ordinary backpack, or like the OP, a handbag they already own. Whereas others swear by their trusty, multi compartment, wipeable changing bags.

Having a baby is expensive enough, so there's no point in shelling out money for something you don't need, but if the idea of a designated changing bag appeals to you, then take a look at our top changing bag recommendations. We tested the top 10 most popular bags to find out which ones really are worth the money.

MNHQ

OP posts:
nonameinspiration · 27/02/2017 16:45

Meanwhile you could get one of those bag organisers I bought one from eBay for pence shipped from Hong Kong. Would easily hold nappy wipes and bum cream

TheWeeBabySeamus1 · 27/02/2017 16:48

I never bought one, just used a large handbag and my son was formula fed so I had to bring bottles, formula etc as well as nappies, wipes, change of clothes.

TipBoov · 27/02/2017 16:54

It's bizarre. On mumsnet everyone always says they use a rucksack/their normal bag but all the people I know with babies the same age as mine have a changing bag, every single one!

I was just going to say the same! Everyone uses changing bags IRL.

TheLegendOfBeans · 27/02/2017 16:57

I used a changing bag for six months and then got fed up with sore shoulders when wearing it (messenger style) and got pissed off with kicking it when it was over the handles as I have big man feet so I got a rucksack and it's done me fine since x

Funnyonion17 · 27/02/2017 16:58

There's no different whatsoever. If your bags big enough, save some pennies as changing bags are just that, bags.

My new pram comes with a bag free, so I will use it for baby but if it wasn't the case I'd use my huge Jasper Conran tote. Can fit half the house in it!

NerrSnerr · 27/02/2017 16:59

"Everyone uses changing bags IRL"

Maybe it's a regional thing? It seems to be split where I am, probably more people have changing bags but I have some friends who don't. I have never owned a changing bag so it definitely can't be everyone who uses them!

toffeeboffin · 27/02/2017 17:00

You don't need a new changing bag.

It's just money for old rope.

fruityb · 27/02/2017 17:02

I was bought one and use it constantly. It's where we keep nappies and wipes and it's always stocked up so I can go out quick if I need to. It has spare clothes in it, a fold out mat, compartments for keeping bottles warm and stuff. You use what suits you. I have my handbag separate I don't keep anything in his bag.

Marley45 · 27/02/2017 17:03

I've got a lovely leather Jem and Bea changing bag. I really like all the pockets inside and it looks like a nice leather handbag.

triangularchocolate · 27/02/2017 17:05

TK Maxx usually have some - I got a nice one for £25. As others have said, useful compartments and waterproof lining are handy.

SquedgieBeckenheim · 27/02/2017 17:06

I used a changing bag with various compartments when DD was a baby, found it easier to keep a designated bag packed and handy at all times, and the changing bag fitted onto the pram to save carrying it. Now she's 2 we just have a drawstring bag with portable potty and a change of clothes in it.
When DD2 comes along in a few weeks I'll go back to using a proper changing bag for the baby stuff.

My brother uses a backpack for his DD. Each to their own.

bummymummy77 · 27/02/2017 17:16

I have 8. Blush

My favourites are jujube. They are so well designed and have lovely prints that aren't dweeby. Hey have amazing pockets and you can throw them in the wash. I have these.

The first one is HUGE. A day trip bag. Second one I bought even when ds was 3 because I love their pockets and organisation.

raindripsonruses · 27/02/2017 17:17

Water proof bits and chiller pockets were very handy. Either that or spend ages looking for stuff in your ordinary bag. Worked for me.

bummymummy77 · 27/02/2017 17:17

But if you're breastfeeding you don't NEED one. I just haven't found a nice looking bag with good enough organisation which is why I love them. I'm hankering for a Tiba and Mark.

WantingBaby1 · 27/02/2017 17:18

Thanks ladies. Really helpful to hear lots of different views.

I've got one of those handbag dividers so may try packing a nice handbag with that and see how I go.

OP posts:
GlitterRollerSkate · 27/02/2017 17:20

I second tk maxx I picked up one for £19.99 as mine was old and tatty and my SIL brought it and it's fucking horrible

welshweasel · 27/02/2017 17:28

I'm not really sure what the relevance of BF or not is. Once I switched to formula I only needed to add a bottle and a carton of premade formula. You still need nappies/wipes/spare clothes/water/food once weaning.

fruityb · 27/02/2017 17:30

I don't understand why you wouldn't need a changing bag if you're BF? I keep nappies and wipes and clothes in mine, as well as his bum cream and moisturiser and such. It doesn't have a bottle in it unless I'm out when his feed will be due or we're visiting people.

namechange20050 · 27/02/2017 17:31

Nope. Big handbag and I bought a changing mat to pop in it. People I know are about 50/50 split between who has one & who uses a normal bag.

AudreyBradshaw · 27/02/2017 17:31

bummymummy77 I am unendlingly jealous of your jujube's. I've been lusting after a Be Right Back for the last 6 months.

I've got a babymel slouchy bag. It serves a purpose. I've just bought a sling though so I'm going to be buying a rucksack.

SockQueen · 27/02/2017 17:32

Agreed welshweasel - I bf and my change bag is still full! Admittedly that's probably because I keep shoving my sling in there - that may have to go once we start weaning and I need to fit food in.

Anotherminime · 27/02/2017 17:37

I have a pacapod which I've used every day since my DD arrived. It's ok, people raved about them, but I find that I've got more little bags in the bag and it means there isn't much space for other things! I think just a normal handbag and a changing mat would be more useful now. In fact, I think I might use this thread as inspiration to move to a normal bag.

NoChocolateThanks · 27/02/2017 17:39

Stick with something simpleand dark,that's easy to clean.I bought beautiful baby bag(camel,red lining,leather details) and it was biggest mistake.Way too many compartments,pockets etc.Now,I just chuck nappies,wipes,cream into tiny string bag and into the buggy basket

GVmama · 27/02/2017 17:42

I have just used a larger handbag for the last two children (had one for my older DS). I can't be faffed with dragging along everything they might ever need. If they need calpol, I'll buy some or take my poorly baby home rather than take a bottle everywhere with me!
Just have nappies and a small travel pack of wipes, and apart from the very odd occasion when I've needed a fresh vest or top, this has worked fine Grin

NameChange30 · 27/02/2017 17:44

I've bought one because:

• COMPARTMENTS. Oh I do love a bag with different compartments for different things Grin
  • It's wipeable and machine washable (which I'm assuming will be handy!)
  • It has a unisex design and DH will be using it too (why are the vast majority of changing bags designed for women?! Annoying)
  • I don't actually have a handbag which meets all the above criteria and if I did I would probably be attached to it and wouldn't want it to get spoiled by baby crap

I got a BabyMule bag for £85 but with 20% off so it was £68 Smile
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.