My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Iron Supplementation

23 replies

twiglett · 19/02/2004 22:58

message withdrawn

OP posts:
nutcracker · 19/02/2004 23:00

I'm sure i only ever took one a day.

twiglett · 19/02/2004 23:04

message withdrawn

OP posts:
hana · 19/02/2004 23:06

I've been taking Sanatogen pronatal tablets for a while now and the iron content in each tablet is 60mg - 400mg sounds a lot, but if you are anaemic and need the iron, I guess that's why it's so high. But 60mg is also listed as 429% of the RDA. Can you talk to your GP about why it's so high?

hana · 19/02/2004 23:07

twiglett - makes my sister the 'other way' too! She is doing a test and not taking the pills for 2 weeks to see if that's the reason ( but she's not preg yet)

twiglett · 19/02/2004 23:08

message withdrawn

OP posts:
twiglett · 19/02/2004 23:09

message withdrawn

OP posts:
sweetkitty · 19/02/2004 23:16

I'm on the Sanatogen pro natal as well so echo what hana says sorry. Maybe ask the doc or MW next time you see them if you're concerned.

stace · 20/02/2004 08:10

Hi, just thought i'd join this conversation, im 15 week preg and this is my second time. Last time i was really low in iron and took Floradix which is an iron and vitamins and herbs thingy and as im under a lot of stress right now they suggested that i start them straight away. I now listen to my body and if i feel knackered after lunch take another one and it perks me up. I try not to take 3 a day because of the constipation. Pack says 60mg iron so check it out with the doc and listen to your own body and mind!!!

HiddenSpirit · 20/02/2004 09:51

hi twiglett, I've just had a look at my ferrous sulphate and the Dr has prescibed me a 200mg dose, 3 times a day! I'm not pregnant and only borderline anaemic, so by sounds of things it could be right

I would say if you have any queries, phone your Dr surgery and ask to speak to a doctor regarding your prescription. They should put you through to a doctor (Dr may have to phone back if they're with a patient) and they will be able to tell you that yes it's correct or no the dose is too high

mears · 20/02/2004 10:04

That is a normal dose Twiglett for the treatment of anaemia. It is not just a supplement.If you get constipated then try just one a day. If you only sarted off with an Hb of 10.2 there is a good chance it is pretty low.
Also try and have a citrus drink with your meals to aid the absorption of iron.

That is a normal dose Twiglett for the treatment of anaemia. It is not just a supplement.If you get constipated then try just one a day. If you only sarted off with an Hb of 10.2 there is a good chance it is pretty low.

kiwisbird · 20/02/2004 10:08

Go to health food shop and buy spatone, its iron rich mineral water sachets, no side effects like constipation easier absorbed and easy to take! Got my iron count back up in 5 days when I was preggers

mears · 20/02/2004 10:10

Spatone is good and gentler on stomach.

Marina · 20/02/2004 10:55

Twiglett, I go the other way on iron too and found it impossible to take as ferrous sulphate. I found Floradix more digestible.

twiglett · 20/02/2004 11:53

message withdrawn

OP posts:
stace · 20/02/2004 15:00

good to take the citrus to help the absorption also really important to stay away from Tannin (tea and coffee) as they kill off the iron i was told!!!

Slinky · 20/02/2004 15:33

That was the same as me when I was pregnant with DD2.

My Hb level was already under 10 when I was newly pregnant with DD2, so started on Ferrous Sulphate almost immediately.

I had 200mg to be taken morning and evening - like you had no problems with constipation although my morning sickness was a LOT worse with DD2.

Good point from Stace - make sure you take them with fruit juice - not when you have your tea/coffee!

twiglett · 20/02/2004 21:23

message withdrawn

OP posts:
Slinky · 20/02/2004 21:33

ooh yes!

My morning sickness with No 3 was a LOT worse than the other 2 - I just put it down to the pregnancy.

However, thinking about it afterwards I felt sick most days - stopped being sick after about 18 weeks. I can't remember if you're supposed to take the iron tablets on an empty stomach or not, but I know I couldn't tolerate them if I hadn't eaten, so used to take them after I'd eaten my breakfast and after my dinner in the evening.

HiddenSpirit · 21/02/2004 00:32

twiglett your vomiting could have been due to coughing fit (depending how bad it was) as this happened with me when I was pregnant with DS2. I also managed to make myself puke by just brushing my teeth (put toothbrush too far back in mouth!)

I know that wasn't down to the ferrous sulphate as I hadn't even been prescribed them then. Hope whatever route you decide to go, be it the ferrous sulphate or spatone, that you feel better for remainder of your pregnancy

stace · 21/02/2004 08:58

almost definetly not the iron thats making you sick, i was sick ALL the way through DS1 but didnt start the iron till about 5 months in. Any one else have severe diarohea if they dont take the iron?

harman · 21/02/2004 09:05

Message withdrawn

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.