Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Is it possible to manage with a 3 door car?

34 replies

PetShopGirl · 21/07/2012 18:46

Putting to one side, if you can bear, just how ridiculously over-privileged the title of this thread sounds, can anyone advise/offer any experience?

First baby due at the beginning of December. DH and I both have 3 door cars, and I'd pretty much assumed that we would need to swap one of them for a 4/5 door. However, obviously could do without as much extra expense as possible at the moment. So would we be mad to even contemplate just keeping our present cars? I'm okay with a bit of extra hassle, but if it would be a complete nightmare then would rather suck it up and just get a new car.

I have an Audi A3 which would definitely be the primary 'babymobile'. DH has a beaten up old Seat Ibiza which is really just a dog transporter now, so probably not worth factoring in anyway!

Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

nancerama · 21/07/2012 18:53

We have managed just fine with a mini cooper 3 door. We invested in an isofix base for the infant carrier, which was incredibly useful.

So long as you research every bit of baby kit you buy carefully and get the lightest, most compact version of everything you really need, you won't have a problem.

The bigger the car, the more room you have and the more pointless stuff you will be tempted to carry around "just in case".

Please
or

Puffykins · 21/07/2012 18:57

We had a 3 door Polo for the first two years of DS's life. It was fine.

Please
or

Aboutlastnight · 21/07/2012 18:58

We had an ancient three four Toyota Corolla fOr years but had to give it up when we got DD3.

Why do you think you would need a bigger car?

Please
or

Aboutlastnight · 21/07/2012 19:00

Three door sorry

We now have an ancient Ford GAlaxy.

Please
or

Graciescotland · 21/07/2012 19:07

We had a tiny fiat, the PITA was that to get the car seat in the seat had to be moved all the way forward which you'd need to get in to do and then get out and fold seat forwards. Not an enormous problem in the grand scheme of things but if I was buying a new car anyway I'd go with a five door.

Please
or

LunaticFringe · 21/07/2012 19:15

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

PetShopGirl · 21/07/2012 19:19

Okay, that's interesting. Thanks everyone. I'd just sort of assumed we would need to get a 4/5 door because everyone I know seems to have got some sort of 'sensible' family car as soon as they got pregnant! I've never been a particularly big fan of sensible however...

Aboutlastnight - wasn't thinking we would necessarily need a bigger car, just that the lack of back doors might be an issue. Reassuring to hear that you managed fine with your Corolla for two DC.

OP posts:
Please
or

MagicDougal · 21/07/2012 19:21

I changed to a 5 door when I had DS1. After the pregnancy I had real back problems which were really exacerbated having to reach into the back of the car and remove the car seat with DS in it. Getting a 5 door was a god send.

Please
or

FunnyBird · 21/07/2012 19:26

I managed with a 3 door VW Lupo. Bit awkward in tight parking spaces because the doors are longer, so can be hard to open them wide enough, but it was fine until the front seats' folding mechanisms became unreliable.

Please
or

Suckeddry · 21/07/2012 19:29

Also have back problems from the labour & could do the extra bending & twisting required. Struggle with a five door though tbh Grin

Please
or

ArtyJennie · 21/07/2012 19:33

Just hijacking a bit with another question. Is it ok for the baby car seat to go in the front passenger seat? I was thinking of doing this if I wasn't with dh as we have a 3 door car and itd be much easier (I'd turn the airbag off)

Please
or

PandaNot · 21/07/2012 19:34

I had a 3 door until recently and found it much easier with small children as you could actually get in and tighten the straps properly rather than having to stand to the side. I've only got the 5 door now that they can do their own belts.

Please
or

tanfastic · 21/07/2012 19:37

I've got a Peugeot 107 3 door and to be honest I'd rather have had a four door but we couldn't afford to swap it and so I put up with it. It was a lot easier when he became able to get out of the seat himself but I managed.

Please
or

baileyslover · 21/07/2012 19:38

We have managed with a 3 door corsa but would definately rate getting an isofix base. Baby seat popped in easily, and I actually found it easier with the 3 door than my husbands 5 door as could flip the seat in from behind rather than the side.
Re in front seat, I think as long as airbag turned off then it is ok, but unlikely to have isofix.

Please
or

sittinginthesun · 21/07/2012 19:40

I had a 3 door Audi until a couple of years ago. I liked it when they were toddlers, as they couldn't mess with the doors.

Please
or

DuelingFanjo · 21/07/2012 19:42

I've carted my son and a quincy buzz around in a Nissan micra for 18 months and it's been ok.

Please
or

CrystalQueen · 21/07/2012 19:43

We had a Ka when DD was a baby and I found it easier to get her into her seat in our car than my dad's huge I have no idea of model but it was grey car. I am quite small though so could easily fit in the space behind the front seat to do the straps up. We carefully chose a buggy that would go in the boot.

Please
or

DuelingFanjo · 21/07/2012 19:43

Arty, yes so long as airbag is off you'll be ok.

Please
or

SuperSlattern · 21/07/2012 20:00

PetShopGirl I did have an Audi A3 and tried too keep it because I really did love it.

However, I tried and failed. It's such a PITA trying to get the baby and seat out together. I had a maxicosi seat + base to try to help me, but it didn't. And don't forget your baby will get heavier, it will make it more difficult.

What you also have to think about is the next stage. It's recommended that children remain rearfacing until at least the age of two. If you would want to remain rearfacing how would you get your baby in and out easily?

I also wouldn't recommend a five door A3. My DH has one and we struggle to get DD in and out without bumping her head.

I would recommend something with a high ceiling. I have a Renault Scenic which is fab for that reason. However the downfall with a lot of MPV's is the underfloor storage. The legs used in most carseat bases cannot be put onto underfloor storage doors so be very careful

Please
or

discrete · 21/07/2012 20:03

We had a 3 door for the first 4 years of ds1's life and the first year of ds2's.

We still have it, but had to get a bigger car because of lack of boot space when we moved from one dog to two, and that had 5 doors. We still use the 3 door one regularly though (ds1 is 5 and ds2 is 2 now).

Please
or

MrsJohnDeere · 21/07/2012 20:09

Total PITA. We got rid of a 3 door car when ds1 was a baby.

Please
or

EarnestDullard · 21/07/2012 20:20

We managed with a 3 door Ford Ka for the first 2.4y; have just now (today!) bought a 5 door car as I'm pregnant with DC2 and we need more boot space. I do think getting DD in and out of her carseat will be easier in a 5 door now but that's mainly because of my ever-growing bump!

Please
or

ItsMyLastOne · 21/07/2012 21:28

DP had a 3 door Mercedes thing for the first 18 months of DD's life. A base was seriously useful when she was in her nfant carrier, then we got a kiddy guardian pro which was so easy to get in and out, and to strap her into.

My mum also has a 3 door Peugeot 207 which is much easier to get into than DP's car was. I find it easier than some 5 doors.

We have used extended rear facing seats in both those cars too and even that is ok. You do have to climb in the back to strap them into an ERF but there are worse things in life, and at least you're inside strapping them in when it's raining.

Please
or

HappyCamel · 22/07/2012 14:54

We managed with my Clio for 4 months then gave up and got an ancient BMW X5. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Please
or

FoxyRoxy · 22/07/2012 15:11

I've got a convertible 3 door BMW and I've bought an isofix base for the car seat so it's easier than faffing with the seat belt. I'm 32 weeks so I've no idea how practical it is!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?