My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

A few questions about home birth.

28 replies

marne · 05/10/2005 15:58

Im 16 months pg and am thinking of a home birth as i am woried about leaving dd with anyone as she has oly ever been left with dh.
A few questions,
1, what drugs will i be able to use eg, gass and air?
2, Is it messy?
3, What happens if i need stitches, will i have to go to hospital?

OP posts:
TheRtHonBaronessEnidOBE · 07/10/2005 10:05

bummer

I'd quite like a home birth but we've just had new sisal laid downstairs

how much room for the pool and can you use a big old bath instead?

rubles · 07/10/2005 14:05

A big old bath might be of some use in its own way but it would not have some of the specific advantages of a birth pool - you wouldn't be suspended in water and you wouldn't be able to flip about from front to back to squat to whatever position you want at your leisure. And I would not imagine it being such a private space as the birth pool is.

princesspeahead · 07/10/2005 19:11

ahem, I have homebirthed in a pool on sisal, enid - just put down a big tarp under the pool. mind you I don't think we got a drop of water on the floor anyway (sadly it wasn't fitted with a jacuzzi function ).

we have a VAST deep old bath (the kind you can't actually keep yourself above water in unless you are 6 ft 2) but I still don't think it would be as good as the birthing pool - the room to manoevre in the pool is great somehow. although the bath would be considerably better than nothing...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.