Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

running Mums - baby jogger/buggy dilemma

moirasings · 25/08/2010 16:48

I want to continue running/jogging after the birth of my baby. I know I want to buy a baby jogger for when baby is 6 months old, but I'm wondering if I need to buy a buggy too, or whether I can find a baby jogger that I can use from birth (although not for running until baby is 6 months). It seems hard to find a baby jogger that is suitable from birth and has all the things I want like a 16" back wheel, tracking adjustment, adjustable handles etc. What are other running Mums planning to do? Or what did you do if you have had other children? Any advice, links appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

moirasings · 25/08/2010 16:56

Just to be clear - 16 weeks now and NOT running - and don't plan to run again until baby is 6 months old. But do I really need to buy TWO different buggies?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ItsAllGoingToBeFine · 25/08/2010 17:03

I don't know about tracking adjustment etc but chariot trailers have an optional sling that allows use with newborns - they are bike trailers but adapt to jogging buggies too...

Please
or

ILoveDonaldDraper · 25/08/2010 17:38

You will need a proper lie flat cot style pram for the first six months anyway as new borns need to lie totally flat to protect their spines. Why don't you get a proper pram second hand for the first six months, by which time your baby will be ready to sit up a bit anyway and will be fine in a baby jogger, and invest in a good baby jogger then?
I know that lots of pushchairs say that they can just be reclined and used from birth but unless they are totally flat I would be pretty skeptical about having a newborn in one for any length of time.

Please
or

Zidonie · 25/08/2010 20:48

Moirasings - I have a Babyjogger with 20 inch wheels. Although it is great for running because the wheels absorb most the chocks, I wouldn't use it for anything else than run. It is quite large and VERY difficult to drive around corners and you wouldn't be able to negociate supermarked aisles let alone go in the public transport.

Not sure how easier a 16 inch wheels would be. Can't you test-drive one somewhere?

Also be careful because the smaller the wheels, the less your baby will be protected.

My advice is to go for two different buggies. My other buggy is a McLaren that you can recline into flat position, it's not too expensive and was fine when DD was very small.

Please
or

moirasings · 25/08/2010 20:58

Thanks for the advice.

Yes,ILoveDonaldDraper, I will certainly be looking for something that reclines completely. Some also have bassinets that can be used for the first few months and then removed. Not sure how well this works.

Not sure about using a sling for a newborn ItsAllGoingToBeFine. Don't they have to be 4 months for a sling?

Zidonie - I do plan to check some out at the shops, but I don't know how far they will allow me to go. Maybe I should get DH to try jogging around the shop with one! LOL.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chynah · 25/08/2010 22:13

I have a babyjogger which I used from about 5/6 months - it is the 20" wheel one and fantastic for running. I also have a phil & ted sport as my normal buggy and have used it for running with both my children from about 7 weeks (although it is a lot heavier than a BJ you can lie them completely flat so no neck/head worries and they both used to sleep the whole time)

Please
or

Chynah · 25/08/2010 22:17

Oops just re read! If you don't want a buggy you can use a sling from birth (i did with DS as couldn't fit a buggy in my car). Having taken a proper Babyjogger around a supermarket though I wouldn't recommend it as manouverability in tignt spaces is rubbish but you could always just get a cheapy fold up pushchair once little one can sit/control head.

Please
or

ItsAllGoingToBeFine · 27/08/2010 12:51

oops I meant a sling within the buggy IYSWIM... So that newborn can go straight into buggy. With that buggy you can swap the front big single wheel for two smaller swivel ones really easily.

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 27/08/2010 13:00

I rsn with a P&T sport with DS from when he was about 5 months old. I love it and it is slim enough to manouevre round our little local Co-Op easily, but sturdy enmough to use on bridleways - running or walking. With a cocoon, I belive you can use a P&T from newborn.

DS is now 2 and far to impatient to let me run with him in pushchair.

Please
or

goodlifemummy · 27/08/2010 14:39

I've got the Nipper Out n About buggy, I had the double for my twins, and have got the single for this bubba - planning on running with this. Hoping it works out ok - don't see why it won't, also not too expensive.

Please
or

Madasajarofwasps · 27/08/2010 21:56

Zidoni and Chyna out of interest where did you get your Babyjoggers from. That is exactly what I want but I can't find them anywhere. Many thanks.

Please
or

Madasajarofwasps · 27/08/2010 21:58

Ooops sorry for hijack moirasings. In my opinion you will need two buggies, I think the jogging ones are lightweight and probably don't have much storage Smile

Please
or

HighFibreDiet · 27/08/2010 22:13

moirasings, I have a BabyJogger with 20" back wheels which I love, but as others have pointed out I wouldn't use it for any other purpose. It's far too big to fit on the bus and looks out of place when collecting my older boys from school.

For other usage I have a Micralite, with swivel front wheels, although dp bought it and actually I would have preferred another Maclaren - lightweight, very easy to fold and carry when folded, narrow enough to get on and off buses easily. The Micralite is wider at the front than the Maclaren, has awkward storage at the bottom and I've actually had an accident where the swivelling front wheels caught in an uneven bit of pavement and I fell on top of ds3. (I had been lulled into a false sense of security by doing loads of jogging with my lovely BabyJogger.)

I love slings. I carried ds2 in the sling until he was nearly 2 years old, and hardly used any buggy at all. I couldn't do this with ds3 as I'd had bad spd towards the end of pregnancy and the extra weight when walking wouldn't have been very good for my recovery.

Having recently got into cycling too I think the Chariot trailers mentioned above sound very cool! I hired a trailer when on holiday and ds3 conveniently went to sleep for my 1 1/2 hr bike ride!

I suppose what I'm saying at the end of all that is that you need to work out what you will use the buggies for, and whether you will need one in the first 6 months at all - but don't necessarily try to combine all functions in one buggy.

Please
or

sanielle · 27/08/2010 22:36

I only clicked on this because I thought you were some sort of mad jogging pregnant woman!

Thank god, if I thought other people were jogging I'd feel even more horrified at the couch potato I've become

Grin

Please
or

moirasings · 27/08/2010 22:45

Ha! - no mad jogging pregnant woman... have trouble climbing a flight of stairs let alone anything else.

Thanks for all the tips - I think I've come to terms with probably having to buy two buggies, but I'll try a few out and see if I strike lucky....

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chynah · 28/08/2010 12:01

I got my Babyjogger wih 20" wheels from ebay second hand - there are usually a few on there although they keep their value very well. I wouldn't use it for day to day use although it was very useful in the snow due to the high clearance!

PS Sanielle I was a mad jogging pregnant woman til 36 weeks (twice!)

Please
or

Zidonie · 28/08/2010 16:00

Madasajar I got mine from the online store www.pushchairs.co.uk

I couldn't find anywhere in London to test-drive it beforehand though, fortunately it turned out to be great.

Please
or

vmcd28 · 28/08/2010 17:16

I dont know re the tracking etc, but this is the travel system we are buying - 1. because we love it and 2. because it comes with rave reviews.
It is officially for jogging, altho we wont be using it for that Blush
It goes completely flat, so can be used from birth - no need to buy a pram or carry cot at all (altho there is one you can clip into it, if you prefer to).
PS it comes in other colours...
anyway, this is it here

Please
or

moirasings · 28/08/2010 17:41

vmcd28 - that one does look really nice - I'll definitely take a look at it.

Chynah you are my hero - jogging at 36 weeks!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.