Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What time do you stop drinks before bed?

Mamabear04 · 17/01/2022 07:43

What time do you stop drinks before bed?

My 2yo often wakes up dry from her naps but her night time nappy has always been wet. Would rather avoid having to wake her to pee. My mum said it's possible for them to just eventually stop peeing during the night...does anyone have any experience of this?

OP's posts:
Please
or

busyeatingbiscuits · 17/01/2022 07:46

Yes all children eventually stop weeing at night, somewhere between maybe 18months and 7 years usually.
I have never stopped drinks before bedtime and mine usually have a bottle of water by their beds!
Mine were dry at night after they were toilet trained in the day - somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 17/01/2022 07:47

You dont have to wake her to pee. She should be able to end up holding her pee in all night or will wake to go to the toilet with the sensation of a full bladder. 2 is a bit young to worry about it so leave her to it just now.

Please
or

sadpapercourtesan · 17/01/2022 07:47

I wouldn't personally deny a child a drink if they say they are thirsty. Night dryness is more about physical maturity than whether they have had a drink or not.

Please
or

DropYourSword · 17/01/2022 07:52

I never restricted drinks at any point. I just made sure DS had done a wee before going to bed (lots of arguments with that one!).
I only took him out of nappies overnight once he was reliably dry.

Please
or

GoodnightGrandma · 17/01/2022 07:54

My DD was still setting the bed at 6 so I gave her a drink with her tea at 6pm, then she had no more drink unless she asked for it, and she stopped wetting the bed.

Please
or

DropYourSword · 17/01/2022 07:55

Oh, forgot to add - overnight dryness was almost magically achieved overnight!
He'd wake up with a sopping wet nappy every morning, until one day it was dry. And the next and the next. It wasn't a gradual thing for us - all of a sudden he just managed to stay dry!

Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 17/01/2022 08:11

You can't train children to be dry at night. They need to produce a hormone that wakes them up when they need a wee. That usually happens between age 2.5 to 5. Doctors won't even worry till age 7. Without the hormone they simply won't wake up.

Stopping drinks musts risks dehydration. I wouldn't do it.

Please
or

Bushkin · 17/01/2022 08:16

Agree with other posters, mine don’t have drinks in their room so probably naturally stop drinking about an hour before bed. I wouldn’t deny them if they asked and were thirsty though. I do make sure they go for a wee right before bed. Other than that it just happened. DC1 was 2.5 and DC2 was 4.5

I wouldn’t try to hurry it, you’ll just end up with loads of washing and a child frustrated over something they can’t control

Please
or

Whoopsies · 20/01/2022 19:14

I don't limit drinks before bed, ds is 2.5 and often still has mill right before bed and is dry all night.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.