Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Starting potty training & naps

PopcornAndWine · 04/01/2022 17:23

Hi my little girl is nearly 2:5 and showing some signs of being ready - asks me to change her when she's done a poo, is aware of when she is about to go, shows an interest in the potty and sits on it but hasn't done anything on it yet. However she still naps and always wakes up with a very wet nappy. I read that they should be dry on waking from a nap before starting so not sure if I should wait for her to be dry on waking or even wait until she drops her nap altogether? Thoughts and advice welcome! Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jannier · 05/01/2022 17:12

Sleeping is different to potty training, it's hormonal so you yes sleep pants ir nappies when sleeping until they are usually dry....which can be commonly up to 5 and sometimes later.
Day time training is best done when they are showing all the signs as found on the nhs site most commonly between 30 and 40 months some sooner some later.

Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 05/01/2022 21:41

Ok thanks so I should prob look at starting as she is definitely showing most of the signs. She does still seem to get very wet nappies during the day though so not sure if she is regularly dry for more than an hour at a time.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jannier · 05/01/2022 22:53

You test it by putting tissue in the nappy and checking.
If they can't stay dry for at least an hour they can't be expected to train

Please
or

That9guy1 · 09/01/2022 18:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

Jxtina86 · 10/01/2022 15:57

DD is similar age and I've been potty training for the last two weeks. She was showing similar signs and I had time so went for it. She still has nappies for night time and there has been no confusion about that - she goes for a wee either before or after her bath and I put her nappy on last thing before story and then it's straight off in the morning. With naps, she isn't a consistent napper so I haven't done nappies then as no guarantee she'll actually fall asleep but plenty do and that seems to work just fine! DD's nappies in the mornings are ridiculously heavy so we're a while away from dry nights for sure but day time is going well for over a week now.

Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 10/01/2022 17:08

Thanks! Have you followed a particular method for training?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Jxtina86 · 10/01/2022 18:26

Did bare bum for 3 days and then commando under leggings for 2 days (and ventured out for short periods) and then added knickers to the mix. Sat on the potty every hour, any accidents moved straight to the potty to finish if possible. Lots of encouragement with clapping etc and a bit of bribery of chocolate stars and screen time to get her to sit for longer than 10 seconds. I would say do a bit of practice with pulling pants up and down and quite possibly just go straight to that - the first day of leggings felt like the first day all over again! On the other hand bare bum made it a lot easier for getting on the potty mid-stream!

Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 10/01/2022 19:27

Thanks I think I am going to try bare bum method too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jannier · 10/01/2022 20:14

I never do bare bum every child who came to me having started this way reverted to day one once dressed so it just delays things ....if ready it takes less than a week dressed.
Also it's not good finding wet sofas and carpets, clothes catch pooh accidents too. Bare was popular in the days of lino floors and hand washing

Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 11/01/2022 09:09

@jannier what method do you recommend?

OP's posts:
Please
or

jannier · 11/01/2022 09:44

I advise all the families I work with to follow the NHS advise.
The oh crap book is very trendy at the moment but like all books has to have a usp advising parents to start becouse a child is so many months old regardless and saying if you don't your going to have issues flies in the face of all current research in all areas of development we don't say a baby must sit at 6 months and walk by 14 and effectively force them to stand for months until they do. Let alone the idea that you send siblings away for a week or two so you an sit watching your child for every que.

Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 11/01/2022 17:27

I have that book. A lot of it does seem quite unrealistic and based around having a parent at home full time. Clearing your diary completely for a week is obviously much harder if working FT and I can't see any crèches being happy with children being sent in commando.

OP's posts:
Please
or

EgSk · 14/01/2022 11:37

My 2.9 year old had wet nappies after his nap and still potty trained like a pro . At first he was using the potty every 30 minutes but after a few weeks he started holding it for 1-2 hours before going . Once he started holding it for longer, he stopped using his nappy during his naps . He still has a wet nappy at night . He will be three next month .

I read the oh crap book but wasn’t completely on board with it . It felt a bit unsettling . It goes against a lot of what the NHS recommends and that didn’t feel right to me . But so many people swear by the oh crap method so it must have a high success rate . Anyway I didn’t follow it and my 33 month old had no issues . I followed some of the tips like starting off naked on the bottom half and moving to trousers and then pants with trousers . But that’s about it . The first couple weeks we used the potty at home but put a nappy on him when we were out ( I wasn’t ready lol) . When we removed the nappy for outgoings our son surprised us with not one single accident . He was ready haha !

Please
or

jannier · 14/01/2022 12:10

@EgSk

My 2.9 year old had wet nappies after his nap and still potty trained like a pro . At first he was using the potty every 30 minutes but after a few weeks he started holding it for 1-2 hours before going . Once he started holding it for longer, he stopped using his nappy during his naps . He still has a wet nappy at night . He will be three next month .

I read the oh crap book but wasn’t completely on board with it . It felt a bit unsettling . It goes against a lot of what the NHS recommends and that didn’t feel right to me . But so many people swear by the oh crap method so it must have a high success rate . Anyway I didn’t follow it and my 33 month old had no issues . I followed some of the tips like starting off naked on the bottom half and moving to trousers and then pants with trousers . But that’s about it . The first couple weeks we used the potty at home but put a nappy on him when we were out ( I wasn’t ready lol) . When we removed the nappy for outgoings our son surprised us with not one single accident . He was ready haha !

So nice to hear your comments The thing with anything we do is that every child is different but very few stay incontinent for life naturally so whatever method will eventually work.....as would leaving a child to decide at some point they want to be like their friends.
The question for me is how long it takes, how many accidents you have, how stressed everyone gets and how it interfers with learning,play and life. So if you do it early and take 4 months of wee catching, learning interrupting is that better for the childand parent than waiting 4 months and it taking a week? The oh crap method tells you to do it at 24 months like child development is some automated programme and totally ignores individuality and that children develop at their own rate. I've worked with parents who got so stressed becouse the fun of parenting stopped while they spent months focusing on catching wee. Parenting should be mainly a happy thing.
Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 14/01/2022 18:58

@EgSk

Thank you, that's all encouraging to hear!
OP's posts:
Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 14/01/2022 18:59

@jannier I agree, if I try it and it's clearly not working I will leave for a few more weeks rather than stressing us both out.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Zelda93 · 14/01/2022 19:44

Hi I am following this as I'm thinking of potty training to and I could of written the OP .. but can I ask how much do your children drink in a day as my dd drinks loads and can fill her nappy in an hour I'm thinking I may need to restrict what she drinks a little but she does use drink as a comfort thing when upset?

Please
or

NannyR · 14/01/2022 19:49

@Zelda93

Hi I am following this as I'm thinking of potty training to and I could of written the OP .. but can I ask how much do your children drink in a day as my dd drinks loads and can fill her nappy in an hour I'm thinking I may need to restrict what she drinks a little but she does use drink as a comfort thing when upset?

I always encourage them to drink more than usual when potty training - they'll need to wee more, so they get more practice at getting it in the potty!
Please
or

jannier · 14/01/2022 19:56

@Zelda93

Most children (and adults) do not drink enough 4 or 5 refills plus milk should not be an issue if its more you may wish to chat to your hv to rule out medical reasons. I wouldnt restrict fluids it shouldn't impact training.
Please
or

Zelda93 · 14/01/2022 21:08

Thank you both that's helpfulThanks

Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 19/01/2022 21:49

So update I had a go today as we are both self-isolating due to positive Covid test (neither of us are sick, zero symptoms, we only knew she had it as nursery told us they had positive cases) so I thought a perfect time to try as we can't leave the house! So I tried putting training pants on her and putting her on the potty at regular intervals. But she soaked through 3 sets of pants and then started getting upset when I even showed her the potty so I am thinking maybe I need to leave it for a few more weeks Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

Weloveyotodaily · 19/01/2022 22:10

I found that both of mine needed a good few days of bare bum as pants just felt like a nappy and they’d just pee in them.
Three accidents sounds pretty normal for the first day though. We had loads of accidents the first few days which I was expecting because it’s a huge thing when you’ve been used to just peeing in your nappy while playing your entire life and disposable nappies are so efficient now and wick the moisture away so quickly they barely realise they’ve peed half the time. I just mopped up with a muslin and said “remember pee goes in the potty” and carried on. I tried not to over prompt and just take them at a natural point so I wasn’t constantly interrupting their play. Some kids seem to prefer the toilet to the potty and we always read stories and gave the choice of potty or toilet so they felt they had a bit of control.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing though. Some bare bum time in the morning/ evening before bath with the potty nearby and encouraging her to go when you go and as part of your daily routine e.g when first waking up, before meals, before sleep etc. means it’s not such a change for her if you do decide to try again in a few weeks.

Please
or

EgSk · 20/01/2022 08:50

I agree with the above poster . We were bare bummed until he stopped having accidents which was a few days.

I also agree that it doesn’t need to be all or nothing .

The first day of potty training was exciting and my toddler was as excited as we were but on say two he cried and cried because he wanted his nappy . I didn’t want to ruin such a good start so we did potty time in the mornings but for the afternoons we did nappy time . I was worried it would confuse him but it didn’t . He was much more willing to use the potty knowing that it was only for a few hours . And when we went out we always put a nappy on him . After about 2-3 weeks we transitioned him completely out of nappies with the exception of bedtime.

Please
or

PopcornAndWine · 20/01/2022 18:02

@EgSk

I agree with the above poster . We were bare bummed until he stopped having accidents which was a few days.

I also agree that it doesn’t need to be all or nothing .

The first day of potty training was exciting and my toddler was as excited as we were but on say two he cried and cried because he wanted his nappy . I didn’t want to ruin such a good start so we did potty time in the mornings but for the afternoons we did nappy time . I was worried it would confuse him but it didn’t . He was much more willing to use the potty knowing that it was only for a few hours . And when we went out we always put a nappy on him . After about 2-3 weeks we transitioned him completely out of nappies with the exception of bedtime.

Thanks, how old was your LO when you did this?
OP's posts:
Please
or

EgSk · 20/01/2022 20:15

2 years and 9 months . We’ve only been at it for a couple months so it’s still very fresh in my mind 😊

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.