Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Not time for potty training?

mummog · 26/07/2021 20:45

I'm aware this might be a stupid question.

I have a 17 month old and he hates his nappies. Hates being changed. Actively pushes me away and screams the house down. He also tries to take his nappies off when he's not got trousers on.

I did think potty training happened a lot later - and I'm happy for it to be so. but i wonder if his hate of having his nappy changed is trying to tell me something...

Mad idea?
Thoughts?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TrashKitten10 · 28/07/2021 21:07

Unfortunately a lot of toddlers hate having their nappy changed and this in itself isn't a sign they're ready to toilet train.

Signs he might be ready would be showing some awareness of his wees and poos, letting you know he needs changing and being able to hold his bladder for longer periods of time. He also needs to have enough language to be able to understand simple instructions and to communicate through words or signs that he needs the toilet. 17 months would be quite early for that readiness but that's not to say he isn't.

If you think it's more of an issue around disliking his nappy then maybe try having a really special toy reserved solely for nappy changing to make it a more enjoyable experience.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.