Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How to help my son!

Mybabysmylife · 05/07/2021 09:55

Hey everyone. When my son had just turned two.. he wanted to sit in the potty so I let him his sister showed him how to do it so he took his nappy off and did it for a solid week poos aswell!! But then one day he got in the bath and he needed a wee.. he was screaming because he was holding the wee in he wouldn't get back on the potty after that..he did so well but he's so scared to wee on the potty again. I don't force him to do anything towards the potty but I leave it out just incase he wants to try again but he's petrified.. I don't no if he will ever get out of been so scared of it. He's going to pre school in September and wears uniform does anyone have any tips to help him over come the fear? I've gave him time and made it like a really fun game when it comes to getting used to the potty but he's not having any of it. I'm not bothered if he's not ready that's not the issue I just want him to n be so scared of it just because he needed a wee whilst in the bath and didn't know what to do it really triggered a serious fear something so little. Any ideas would be brill! Thankyou

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fitforforty · 05/07/2021 10:58

Have you tried the toilet instead?

Please
or

Mybabysmylife · 09/07/2021 18:53

@Fitforforty I have but he just won't do it he's so scared about it. And the other problem is his nursery have changed him today and when I've brought him back and he had strings of poo all over his privates and bum.. so there anyone me too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Toomanypickles · 09/07/2021 18:57

Regarding the potty feelings you could try reading a book together (every day) where the character uses the potty (you could try "I want my potty" or its potty time")

You could buy a toy potty for his favourite teddy etc

Please
or

Mybabysmylife · 09/07/2021 19:35

@Toomanypickles hi! We tried the songs on the potty he liked that but now because he's scared he won't even try I've left him for months to decide on his own but I just want to help him overcome the fear

OP's posts:
Please
or

Toomanypickles · 10/07/2021 14:30

Would you use the Cheerios trick? It's usually done teaching boys to aim - I know it's his fears that ate what you're working on, not his aim, but if it's fun it might distract him ? Also there is a method where you give them a white board marker and let them doodle on the loo seat (facing backwards). That one is more for getting wriggly bottoms to stay on the loo long enough to 'go' but again if it's fun, might make some nice associations to replace his old memory of feeling scared.

These methods are both on YouTube (Emily Norris channel...I think?!)

One more thing you could try is those potties that look like a mini toilet with a flush sound effect. About £35 at Argos/Amazon.

And pirate Pete's potty book come with stickers(I think that's the title, might just make it fun and not scary)

:) Good luck op

Please
or

Mybabysmylife · 10/07/2021 17:52

@Toomanypickles these are really good pointers! I tried to get him to go in backwards but it's like he hates change and will not do it after he's learned to sit on the front way ! I'm confused as he did it months ago for a solid week but then got petrified due to needing a wee in the bath. At that point he wasn't a great talker and only said a few words now he says full sentences and. Understands everything x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mybabysmylife · 11/07/2021 16:04

UPDATE: my son randomly asked for the potty today.. he went to get it.. within a hour he's had 2 wees on the potty without me telling him!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mybabysmylife · 12/07/2021 14:11

He also slept without a nappy last night and didn't wee the bed!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.