Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

DS obsessed with the flush - ready to train?

Tvscreen · 03/07/2021 14:13

My DS is 2.5 and I’ve noticed over the past week whenever he feels like he needs to do a poo, he’ll say he’ll “need to do the potty” and will leg it upstairs whipping off his clothes and nappy but just stand there flushing the loo with his head down the bowl and chucking clumps of loo roll in. I have tried to sit him on the loo with the potty seat but he screams and just wants to flush the loo. I have asked if he wants to poo on the potty and he says no! I don’t want him to break the flush so I give him a warning when it’s the last flush and move him away to wash his hands.

I haven’t made any concerted efforts to train as am 39 weeks pregnant and don’t want a regression when baby arrives but is this a sign he is ready? How do I get him to sit on the seat?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fitforforty · 03/07/2021 14:21

I generally think people often train their kids too late and don’t recognise when they are ready to potty train but don’t potty train now. Wait until the baby is here and things have settled down.

I’m training DD2 and it’s tricky enough to do while I was vaguely home schooling her older sister. It’s impossible to do properly with a new born.

Please
or

Tvscreen · 03/07/2021 14:35

Thanks @Fitforforty. I did contemplate training earlier but I just haven’t had much energy this pregnancy so put it on the back burner.

I also wanted to go at his own pace as he is quite determined to do things his own way and I didnt think he’d respond well to something like the oh crap potty training method but perhaps I’m wrong! I hope I haven’t left it too late!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fitforforty · 03/07/2021 14:37

There is no such thing as too late. I don’t know any 5 year olds in nappies unless it’s for medical or developmental reasons. (I’ve worked with children and young people with significant disabilities hence my comment).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.