Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Continue or give up

mightbealittlebitmad · 03/04/2021 16:07

Day 2 of potty training my 3 and a half year old and I've not had a single success. He's showing no indication that he needs to go, no sign of knowing that he's wet himself despite being soaked so I just don't think he's ready. The only progress has been the willingness to wear pants instead of nappies and he can now be bribed to sit on the toilet whereas yesterday he refused to sit on it and 2 days ago he screamed hysterically at not having his nappy on.

His brother was difficult, started at 3 and whilst he showed a lot more willingness he wasn't really reliable until 3 and a half.

I don't think he's ready but then if he's not ready by now when will he be. He's 4 in September so I'm feeling like he needs to learn.

He goes to nursery and they've tried to encourage him to use the potty or the toilet like some of his friends but they are met with point blank refusal or crying.

I'm at a total loss.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dropthedeadhorse · 03/04/2021 16:11

Have you tried letting him run around with no pants or trousers on? Apparently the sensation of wetting themselves without pants on is unpleasant and makes them more likely to use the potty. Worked for my dd. Is he likely to respond to a reward system? Eg a chart and stickers or chocolate buttons when he goes on the potty.

Please
or

mightbealittlebitmad · 03/04/2021 17:21

@dropthedeadhorse

Have you tried letting him run around with no pants or trousers on? Apparently the sensation of wetting themselves without pants on is unpleasant and makes them more likely to use the potty. Worked for my dd. Is he likely to respond to a reward system? Eg a chart and stickers or chocolate buttons when he goes on the potty.

Yes, he's not keen on that and he gets upset. I've tried bribing him, everytime he sits on the toilet or the potty he gets a small treat. He put his toys on it this morning so they got a treat too.

He's at nursery on Tuesday but I can't send him with no nappy on if he's just going to continue to wee or poo himself. A one off accident is one thing but every time isn't fair on them. If I'm seeing some progress I will keep him off and stick with it but if not I'll have to put him back in a nappy.
OP's posts:
Please
or

dropthedeadhorse · 03/04/2021 22:10

Sounds like you are doing everything you can. I waited until we had DD home for a week so that we could try the no nappy thing for a good few days, then progress to trousers on, had a few accidents but was then pretty much dry for the return to nursery.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.