Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Who else is potty training this weekend?

PottyTrainingNewbie · 03/04/2021 10:55

So how else is potty training this long weekend?

We started yesterday and our DD is 3y 3m and had some success yesterday, 3 accidents but 2 weeks and a poo in the toilet!

So far today she hasn’t done a wee wee at all...

How is everyone else doing?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Noauthorityhere · 03/04/2021 16:02

We are! Son is 2.5 and we are following Oh Crap method. He has been fantastic with nothing on the bottom, we have just moved onto trousers on. Also attempting night time as well, that went less successfully last night but we will persevere!

Please
or

PottyTrainingNewbie · 03/04/2021 18:11

@Noauthorityhere
We haven’t had much success today. All accidents and nothing in the loo Sad

We have had to go down the route of setting a timer and taking her to the loo every 30 mins and sometimes she really puts her parts on and other times happy to sit on the loo.

Glad you seem to be doing well Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Noauthorityhere · 04/04/2021 13:03

How has it been going? Are you doing overnight too?

We abandoned trousers yesterday as he just had several accidents and went back to no clothes. Today we are back to trousers. We've had one accident, and three successes he has instigated himself. DH majorly dropped the ball yesterday resulting in DS trailing poop around the spare room with DH totally oblivious until it had happened. So we have still to master poop but I feel like in general it's good progress. Night time is another matter though, big tantrum at 2am when we woke him up to pee, so he just refused to use the potty. He was dry at that point though so I'm encouraged he went 6 hours overnight at least with no pee.

I have found starting with him naked for a day or so has really helped him get to grips with using the potty as and when he feels the urge. Is it maybe worth trying that?

Please
or

Birthdayboy2 · 04/04/2021 14:23

We are and i am exhausted! Yesterday he just refused to use the potty so kept it in all day until he was so uncomfortable, in pain and crying. I felt so upset seeing hiim like this I gave in and put him in a nappy at 5pm (he hadn't done anything since 8am). He soaked through 2 nappies in 5 minutes. Today he keeps doing little drops in his pants and asking to go on the potty but once sat there if he starts to pee he freaks out and wants to stand up and then pees everywhere instead.
I don't know what to do. He is 3 and clearly ready as he can hold it in and tell us when he needs to go but if he is scared of the potty whee do I go from there? I am so out of my depth, hope you're having a better time!

Please
or

PottyTrainingNewbie · 04/04/2021 17:53

@Noauthorityhere we seem to be doing better today 4 decent wees in the potty and only 1 accident. She even asked to go do a wee today as well and didn’t want a nappy on for her nap!

We are just doing daytime dryness and then tackle nighttime a little later on. You are a braver women then me to try both at the same time.

Sounds like you guys are on the right track for your little guy Grin.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Noauthorityhere · 04/04/2021 18:55

@Birthdayboy2 sounds like he is making progress and he understands the concept! If you persevere maybe it will become more of a normal sensation for him?

@PottyTrainingNewbie thats great news, really glad she is doing better!

We are only doing night times as well as DH was up for tackling it. I'm EBF a 3 month old so was going to leave it! It has been a good day, a couple of accidents but he has known each time and come to us straight away. The Oh Crap method emphasises looking for progress, not perfection. And we definitely have progress.

Please
or

Birthdayboy2 · 04/04/2021 21:06

Thank you @Noauthorityhere i also really like the idea of progress, not perfection. I will try to remember that. Today was definitely progress from yesterday so I'll persevere. He actually also said he didn't want a nappy on for his nap initially but then changed his mind. But he woke up dry and then i started worrying he was just holding things in too much and it would cause some issues so left the nappy on for the rest of the day. I am not very good at this haha.

Sounds like your LO is doing great and I'm impressed you have a 3 month old at the same time. I'm trying to hurry through this process in the hope we're sorted by the time number two makes an appearance. Fingers crossed!

Please
or

Noauthorityhere · 05/04/2021 11:55

@Birthdayboy2 oh congratulations, when is baby due to arrive?

I honestly can't recommend the Oh Crap method enough, it is really working well for us, and the book has really helped DH and I to get in the right mindset - even little things you dont think about like saying "push your trousers down" rather than pull, because you do push them down. DS is operating quite independently now during the day.

He is still waking up wet in the morning. But if we wake him to pee in the night he just tantrums and refuses to go - so stressful and unproductive for us all. He's dry when we wake him in the night, just wet upon waking in the morning to get up. Its tricky because he is still in a cot and in a sleeping bag, so he needs our help to go at night. I guess we just have to try and teach him to call out for us to come help him?

Please
or

PottyTrainingNewbie · 05/04/2021 19:51

Well in regards to today only 1 accident and 3 wees in the potty... it my goodness we have had tantrum after tantrum today!

Not sure what bought it on as she did great yesterday and didn’t protest going to the potty at all yesterday, where as today it has been a battle.

On my own with DD tomorrow so I am dreading if I have another day like today tomorrow Sad.

I think she is starting to become more independent and is wanting to do everything herself, and she has been so emotional today. We ask her if she wants a story and she says no, so we say ok, then She cries and says yes I need a story and then when we go to read it she says she doesn’t want it.

I think mummy needs a large glass of wine after today Wine

@Noauthorityhere @Birthdayboy2 how have you both been getting on today?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kitkatchunkyplease · 05/04/2021 21:34

I started yesterday! Why not Friday? I don't know. DD has nursery tomorrow too... Cant imagine how it is going to go! This is worse than the newborn stage Grin

Please
or

Birthdayboy2 · 05/04/2021 21:51

@PottyTrainingNewbie oh those days are hard, well done for making it through! And don't worry it usually comes and goes doesn't it, so she might be totally fine tomorrow!

@Noauthorityhere thank you! Baby number two is due in september so plenty of time really but I feel this weird pressure from friends and family now he is turning three.

It went pretty bad for us today, another day of holding wee in and completely refusing to sit on the potty from 8am in the morning until 5pm when I gave in and put him in a nappy as I was so worried it is unhealthy for him. DH thought he was fine (to be fair he didn't seem bothered at all about not having had a wee for 9 hours) and that we should have carried on but it's got to be unhealthy hasnt it?
It's been awful, been really emitional about it feeling like a complete failure. I tried everything through the day, letting him be, providing lots of reassurance so he'd accept sitting on the potty, even offering bribes. Just couldn't make it work.

Back at nursery tomorrow so I think we are going to reset, leave it a few weeks and start again properly. I'll follow the Oh crap method as recommended so I'll feel less like I'm improvising.

Well done to both of you!

@kitkatchunkyplease, how did it go?

Please
or

Kitkatchunkyplease · 05/04/2021 21:58

Oh birthdayboy obviously he is a bright lad, and strong willed! He will get it when he is ready. But totally get you about feeling emotional about it.

DD is 2 years 7 months. Yesterday she did wees and poos on the potty (when prompted). Two accidents where she ran to the potty. Today she did fine when prompted. Some tantrums when I over prompted though! This afternoon she did about 4 wees just in her underwear. Then wee went prompted. Can't imagine how nursery will go tomorrow.

Please
or

Birthdayboy2 · 05/04/2021 22:13

@Kitkatchunkyplease sounds like she is doing amazing! Nursery will be doing lots of prompting, I hear what they say to parents at pick ups and it sounds like they take all children who are potty training for a wee every 30 mins (and the kids do sometimes get mad at the over prompting from what I hear haha, perfectly normal).

This weekend has just shown me how stubborn my child is, it's unbelievable! He is actually pretty easy going with most things, but is quite sensitive so I guess he's a bit scared of the big change. I feel like i missed a trick and should have done this months ago when he wasn't as independent and was happier to just go along with whatever we say!

Please
or

Noauthorityhere · 06/04/2021 02:20

@Birthdayboy2 I think stopping for a few weeks and restarting sounds like a sensible idea. You have loads of time til baby comes along, and you are certainly not a failure!

@PottyTrainingNewbie oh that sounds like a tough day. The tantrum days are just so exhausting aren't they. I am flying solo tomorrow (today) too, I hope you have a better day. And wine.

@Kitkatchunkyplease sounds like your DD gets it. Hopefully it will click further in nursery. It's so hard to stop yourself overprompting isn't it. All it does here is make DS resist, so I have to just bite my tongue!

We had a great day yesterday, DS had no accidents. We had grandma round, and a Tesco delivery, so lots of excitement. He has just woken up crying out for us, so I went in and although there was a bit of wet through his sleeping bag and sheet he was clearly holding and sat on the potty straight away for a wee. I'm counting that as a win. Although no brownie points for DH who slept through the whole thing!

Please
or

Kitkatchunkyplease · 06/04/2021 08:28

What a good day! He sounds like he did fab. I'm trying to pretend that I am nice and breezy about nursery. The drop offs are so quick though and I feel like it's a lot of info.

For the staff I guess they do this all the time. For me it's the biggest thing we have done!

Please
or

addyDayearBay · 07/04/2021 15:56

We decided the long weekend would be a great time to start, DD (2 & half) done well, morning poos in the potty all 4 days, not so much the wees though but defo improving.

Yesterday first day back at nursery and Ive been a wreck can’t stop thinking about how she’s getting on, hoping she doesn’t feel bad about accidents. Yesterday she did a wee in the potty before we took her to nursery and did another in the toilet when we got back which was reassuring, she did have two clothes changes so I assume 2 accidents.

Secretly the weekend cant come any quicker for me, I feel I should have more faith in the nursery though, DD tends to do most things better there anyway e.g. eat & sleep.

Please
or

Kitkatchunkyplease · 07/04/2021 20:26

My dd got put back in a nappy at nursery. It was disheartening! I cant tell if it is going well or badly.

Please
or

PottyTrainingNewbie · 08/04/2021 22:16

I hope everyone is doing well... my little one seems to be doing so much better now. Telling us when she needs to go and starting to take herself...

Now she has decided she doesn’t want to wear pull ups at night and is asking to go wee wee 3/4 times after going to bed... tempted to put a little potty in her room as I get the feeling she is doing some of it to stay up later.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Noauthorityhere · 10/04/2021 08:14

Hi everyone, hope you've all been getting on ok. DS has been so good. Last night we had our first fully dry night, he woke up this morning day and sat on the potty for his first morning wee. It will be a few more weeks until we try anything as bold as underwear but so far so good.

Please
or

Kitkatchunkyplease · 10/04/2021 18:42

Good news from both of you. DD is doing okay but I think she is just trained to wee on my demand. She can hold it for 2 hours and then do a wee when I tell her to. I assume if I didn't say then she would wet herself. Poo in knickers today 😨 Not sure what to do about nursery on Tuesday.

Please
or

Noauthorityhere · 10/04/2021 20:14

@Kitkatchunkyplease it's a bit disheartening that nursery just put her back in a nappy - did they say why they did it? Sounds like shes doing well with you though so definitely take that as a win. Everything that I've read says poo takes a little longer to get to grips with. If she is showing signs of realising what she has done then that is good progress!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.