Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

'Regressions' in 2.5 yr old

SecondhandTable · 14/03/2021 14:32

Our DD was potty trained at 26m. After about 6 weeks she was basically completely accident free and had built up better bladder control so she no longer needed to wee super frequently. It became a thing we didn't overly think about anymore and I thought that was that.

She's now 33 months and over the last few months shes repeatedly had 'regressions' where she will not go to the toilet quick enough, often for every single wee she does all day. These can go on for a couple of weeks, then she goes back to being more reliable but will still have a few accidents a week. The accidents aren't massive floods (unless she's having a tantrum), just enough to need a change of clothes before she reaches the toilet. She will often just stand there and say 'mummy, I've wet myself.' and then will go to the toilet. I am assuming she is just holding on too long until she can't anymore. This is really frustrating having to change her 5+ times a day for days on end. I don't know how to motivate her to go to the toilet sooner. She won't go on demand and never has so trying a schedule of regular toileting isn't possible, she's always taken herself off to wee off her own steam even in the first day of training. I can't understand what is going on when she was totally dry many many months ago and this issue doesn't seem to be going away after about 4 months of issues on and off.

Is this 'normal'? Why is she doing this and is there anything we can do to support her in staying dry? I really don't want to go down the 'chocolate button if you're dry' route but that's the only thing I can think of that might actually motivate her as so far stickers hasn't worked and she doesn't seem at all bothered about wetting herself, sometimes she denies she has even though we can see it Confused. We try to be as blase as possible about it too just breezily 'oh dear don't worry it's just an accident, let's get you changed and next time you will be dry and go to the toilet earlier' and she agrees she will. Except she doesn't and we are doing this every time she needs to wee!

OP's posts:
Please
or

leah1991 · 27/03/2021 03:04

It's normal, don't worry. My daughter got really good at taking herself so i stopped asking her and she regressed too. I just had to start encouraging her again regularly. She's now back on track again.

Please
or

SecondhandTable · 12/04/2021 19:37

Aaargh she got better after a few weeks and then has been randomly a total disaster since yesterday again. My poor DM took her to a playgroup for the first time since pre-covid times and she did her biggest accident ever of just totally letting a huge wee go in the middle of the hall and soaked all her bottom half! I will look at her and can see she needs a wee, I ask her to go and she starts shouting no and throwing a hissy fit. Then five minutes later she will grab her crotch and go "Ice wet myself."... Finding this so frustrating now, she was totally reliable like 5 months ago, why won't she just go to the toilet in time instead of waiting until she leaks and then goes?! I try to get her to go more often now but it's hard because she's so stubborn and will often just refuse and start screaming (followed by another small accident a few mins later). How long did it take your DC to go back to being reliable? Interestingly she isn't like this at nursery so it's not a bladder issue.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ptob · 16/04/2021 19:39

No advise, but was wondering if you had advise for me on potty training a 25 month old. I have started and was looking for some help on how to help her have success like your child

Please
or

RaspberryBubblegum · 16/04/2021 19:45

The problem is going to the potty is boring. My DD also dislikes the toilet and will only go last minute. Can you do something like the toilet train from Bing or let her watch a youtube video on your phone so it's something she looks forward to?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?