Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Tips on potty training non-verbal 2.5yr old please

Amelia891 · 21/09/2020 21:17

Hi! My DD is 29 months and is showing all the signs of being ready to potty train. In terms of communication she comes up to me and makes a specific sound when she has pooped and squats down when she is doing a wee or poop in her nappy. She has a speech delay and has recently started with SALT and has lots of support at nursery, developmentally apart from
not talking she is right on target and picks physical things up quickly. Bit worried that at nursery her signs won’t be spotted as easily as they are at home. I’m going to try and teach her to sign when she needs to go but if there are any other parents out there who have any tips in how to potty train non verbal toddlers that would be great! Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kanaloa · 21/09/2020 21:47

Trying to get her to sign when she needs to go is a great start. Can you use any visual aids if she would respond to them? You could start off by showing her a picture of the potty whenever she makes her noise or squats down, and start sitting her on the potty with lots of praise for anything done.

All nurseries I’ve worked at would be happy to support with cards/signing/asking her regularly. Although she might have more accidents at nursery than at home, this is totally normal - playing with toys and friends often distracts!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.