Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Accidents still after 2 months

GinaGina22 · 02/09/2020 14:29

Potty training for 2 months now. He still has an accident or 2 on most days.
He can go to the potty himself so he clearly has the feeling and knows what to do.
Sometimes he dances around and I'll tell him to go.
Accidents at home just seem to come from nowhere. No sign he needs to go but will just wee a whole wee in his trousers. Other times, he will tell me he needs to go but we can't get to a toilet fast enough. Sometimes I have just 5 seconds to get him there before a full accident.

I just don't know if this is normal or not. You hear of kids being fully dry after a few days but we are still like this 2 months on. :(

OP's posts:
Please
or

ivfbeenbusy · 02/09/2020 14:34

How old is he? It sounds like he just isn't ready yet?

Please
or

JaJaDingDong · 02/09/2020 14:37

Give the boy a chance! How old is he? As long as he's not 16, I think he's fine! I'm in my 40s, and I've had the odd accident Blush

He'll get the hang of it eventually. In the meantime, I'd be taking him to the toilet every few hours, and not waiting until he feels he needs to go. If he's absorbed in an activity, he may not notice, or not take any notice of a need to wee.

Please
or

GinaGina22 · 03/09/2020 17:57

Thank you for replying. He is 2years and 3 months. I tried today to take him every 1.5 hours. This meant that one if those wees was the tiniest dribble as he clearly didn't have a full bladder after that long, but then at another point he did a full wee in his pants after just under an hour!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ivfbeenbusy · 03/09/2020 18:32

I'd say he is too young - boys are well known for being slower than girls to pick up toilet training - I waited until DD was 3 and she had it cracked over a bank holiday weekend and I'm sure it's because we left her a bit later and didn't put any pressure on her at too young an age

Did he decide/give you cues that he was ready to toilet train or was it something that was led by you?

Also 90 mins gap is maybe too long - with DD it was every 20 minutes and after the initial Few days we'd ask every 15 mins if she needed to go. (Drove ourselves mad constantly asking ! 🤣)

Please
or

SunbathingDragon · 03/09/2020 18:38

Sounds like he’s too young. If you start when they are too young all you do is train yourself to get a potty or toilet under (hopefully) them in time and increase your laundry.

In my experience (although DC4 is still in nappies but he is younger than your son) if they are ready then they get it within a couple of days with very rare accidents (I mean fewer than one every couple of months) after that.

It’s one of those things that it really is worth waiting for them to be ready to make it less stressful on you both.

Please
or

SisyphusAndTheRockOfUntidiness · 03/09/2020 18:44

Give him a chance. We had to wait until DD was 3 (3rd or 4th attempt) & it took her 6 months to manage it well enough with a loo nearby, & about another 6 before we could abandon the pullups for nights & out of the house. And we still took a change of clothes everywhere until she was about 6.

Please
or

GinaGina22 · 03/09/2020 18:50

No he showed no signs of being ready but I thought I should give it a go before his sibling arrives (soon!) I would 100% go back to nappies if there was no success. But the fact he knows sometimes that he needs to go and then has time to get there, shows me he surely must have the physical ability? We've done days out with no accidents but then it just seems so random! I'm also very VERY stubborn.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ivfbeenbusy · 03/09/2020 19:09

Aah - impending sibling time pressures....he doesn't sound ready given the amount of accidents (you said daily and more than one?) - do you really want to be clearing up accidents with a new baby/recovering from the birth? I'd put him back in nappies and wait 6-9 months and try again when you are less pressured

Please
or

JaJaDingDong · 03/09/2020 19:10

DD1 was dry at around 18 months, but then DD2 was bitten when DD1 was 20 months old. DD1 started wetting herself again, every time I picked DD2 up to feed her.
Be warned!

Please
or

MeadowHay · 03/09/2020 19:13

I don't think it's purely about age. I know kids who were close to 3 and still having lots of accidents a few months in. They're all different. The question is what do you want to do about it - keep going and accept it could be a long slog with accidents and laundry or take him back to nappies? It's your call, there's no right or wrong answer really. You could try training pants perhaps? Less mess but he can still feel he's wet and if he's been out of nappies for a full 2 months I would imagine he won't get too confused and go straight back to weeing himself all the time? Dunno though, just a thought.
I second that 1.5hrs is way too long for a wee for a child of that age. Mine is 26 months and sometimes she can go over an hour but other times she will do small wees every 20 minutes or so. But she self initiates and has done since day 1 of training.

Please
or

Dawninglory · 03/09/2020 19:27

After wearing pull ups and practicing on a potty downstairs (at the time only toilet was upstairs and too far!) I started my son at 2yrs and 3mths, we stayed home for 5days he only had a tshirt and pants on, every 10 mins then 15mins then 20mins then 30mins over the 5 days we tried on the potty. He got it by day 5.
Poos though were a bit different, he held his first one in all day then it came out in the warm relaxing bath!🙂but eventually he did it in his potty.
They do get distracted and forget, you have to keep getting them to try, boys are a bit slower than girls but perseverance pays off.
Then you have night time training, a whole different ball game!

Please
or

GinaGina22 · 03/09/2020 22:16

@Dawninglory he is dry at night somehow! For about 3 weeka he has world up dry and then not needed to wee for about an hour after waking! We've also never had a poo accident. It's like he is the complete opposite to a normal child!
I've been keeping a track on my phone of how many accidents and how many times he has gone by himself, and just over 2 weeks ago it was 0 or 1 accidents and most of the time going by himself. I don't know what has happened in the last 2 weeks. I can't remember the last time he said 'need a wee wee'.
Thanks for all your input....I'll definitely ve having a think about where to go from here!

OP's posts:
Please
or

GinaGina22 · 03/09/2020 22:16

*woken up dry

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bramblecrumble · 09/09/2020 18:45

Hiya ginagina. My daughter is the same age, potty trained but accidents once every few weeks not most days. Like yours she was dry at night when we introduced the potty even before we get rid of nappies. Before day time. One day she went from 7an till 3pm no weeing! But if she does have an accident she tends of have a few of them in a day/. Over a few days then get back in the swing of it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.