Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Pull ups v nappies

Squirrels1974 · 31/08/2020 08:09

Hi,

Not sure this is the correct place for this but not sure it fits anywhere else either. Not potty training yet .... clearly.

My 9 month old has started the fun old game of crawling / rolling away during nappy changes and screams blue murder if you don’t let him.

He can be distracted sometimes. However his favourite game is to wee whilst his nappy is off and laugh. I need to get a new nappy on him quick.

I’m thinking of changing to a pull up so it’s easier to get on him at any angle?

He’s a big 9 month old (99.6th percentile for height) and is in a size 4?

I thought it was the obvious solution but having mentioned it to family and friends everyone thinks I’m off my rocker for putting a non potty training baby in pulls up, it seems for various reasons

• they don’t hold as much wee
    -they’re harder work
  • they leak
    Etc etc

What’s your experiences?

If it makes any odds we use kit and kin size 4s and get on fine. I would use pampers premium nappy pants - because kit and kin ones are too expensive and only do a size 5.... any other brand of nappy have historically aggravated his skin so would probably stick to these brands.
OP's posts:
Please
or

LouiseTrees · 31/08/2020 08:53

We use pampers premium. Much smaller centile baby but not measured in a while so I’d recommend you buy one packet to start with. We’ve had no leaks at all (whereas we did in nappies because she’d wriggle so much we’d not have put on right). I suppose it depends how often you change them on the the amount of wee it needs to hold. How often would you say you change him? They are undoubtedly easier to get on as long as you know which end is the back (the bit with the little plastic tab), you know the sides tear for getting them off and you know the tab can be used for securing a rolled up nappy (important in poo times). Also toes can be the enemy to getting a pull up on. (My DD has big feet). But I still wouldn’t use anything else.

Please
or

Squirrels1974 · 31/08/2020 09:05

I probably change him 4-5 time’s a day so it only needs to last 2-3 hours. However overnight I don’t change him at all and he’s in the same nappy for 10-12 hours. He’s BF so still night feeds. Not currently having any leak issues. Wouldn’t say the nappy is excessively full in the morning but obviously more than a daytime nappy change.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 31/08/2020 09:07

You get pull up nappies and potty training nappy pants. The pull up nappies are just the same as normal nappies but you don't have to fasten them. The sides rip to remove a pooey nappy

Please
or

Flynn2019 · 31/08/2020 09:13

Hi there, I actually moved my DS to nappy pants when he was around 4 months. I hated normal nappies and always felt the nappy pants fit better. I started using pampers premium but now I use normal pampers ones and they r just as good in my opinion. The aren't as absorbant as normal nappies but to be honest I have only had a couple of leaks and these seem to be in the morning when he gets up. I like u, don't change him during the night. The leaks are few and far between though. Would definately recommend. I am now on size 7's and he is 17 months and there is not a bigger size. Hoping he takes a while to grow out of these as I can see potty training far enough and still think he is far too young x

Please
or

LouiseTrees · 31/08/2020 09:20

@Squirrels1974

I probably change him 4-5 time’s a day so it only needs to last 2-3 hours. However overnight I don’t change him at all and he’s in the same nappy for 10-12 hours. He’s BF so still night feeds. Not currently having any leak issues. Wouldn’t say the nappy is excessively full in the morning but obviously more than a daytime nappy change.

That’s about the same as me then. Go for it. But a pack to try out
Please
or

ihoeihoeihoe · 31/08/2020 09:28

My son is 9 months and we have been using pampers nappy pants since he started rolling and they’re so much easier. Never leaked in them when he’s holding himself up on things it’s actually much easier to change him. I can’t get him to lie down except first thing in the morning otherwise he just screams. I’ve tried the cheaper alternatives, Morrison’s, Sains etc and while they haven’t leaked they feel much heavier once weed in and not as soft/comfy for baby.

Please
or

Squirrels1974 · 31/08/2020 13:22

Thanks for advice all. Will give them a go!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lockdownseperation · 31/08/2020 21:09

Just give them ago. DH puts Dd2 (13 months) in pull up and I use nappies as it’s just what we each prefer. She uses them overnight as DH does bath time and we’ve never had an issue with leaks.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.