Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Do I quit?

User8888888 · 04/05/2019 18:48

We’re on day 2 of potty training and not sure if we should quit and wait another month or plough on.

My toddler’s clever (so no issues of understanding) but tends to lie re poos so she can play and she isn’t bothered by sitting in a dirty nappy (much to my frustration). However she’s nearly 3 so I’m getting worried that she’s late.

Day 1: she wet herself and didn’t realise but then told me when she had accidents and even got the potty herself for a wee.

Day 2: pooed in her pants and was really upset. Refused to go on the potty when I suggested it every half hour and then weed herself every time with no attempt to use the potty. She then asked to go back into nappy pants and I let her as didn’t want to force it.

Do I plough this weekend on or leave it? I’m not sure if I’m expecting too much.

She’s ahead on everything else but potty training feels like the thing they will be our parenting challenge.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Emmabryant123 · 04/05/2019 19:04

No harm in going back to nappies and trying again in a month
My dd finally cracked potty training this week and shes 3 years 3 months nearly

Please
or

AConvivialHost · 04/05/2019 19:32

Are you putting her in pants? If so, I'd keep her in the nude until she's reliably using the potty. IME it does take a few days - it took 4 days with my eldest and 3 with the youngest. If you've only got this weekend to crack it, I'd put her back in nappies and try again on the late May BH. Does mean you can't make any plans for the long weekend, but worth it in the long run.

Please
or

teaandbiscuitsforme · 04/05/2019 19:34

We used the Oh Crap method which is worth a read if you want more guidance.

Two things I'd suggest:

Take her knickers off. Bare bottom for the first day or so, then only leggings/joggers or just a dress if it's warm enough. No knickers until she's got it and you're a few weeks in.

Don't ask her if she needs a wee. Tell her the potty is there if she needs it and then leave her to it. Phrase it as a statement rather than a question - otherwise there's more chance the answer will be no!

Please
or

User8888888 · 05/05/2019 14:08

We ended up giving up after a battle of wills and a total refusal to sit on the potty. I’ll try the statement rather than the question and then try again when it’s warmer. We’ve got a newborn so it was perhaps a silly time to try as we’re knackered and lots of changes for my toddler.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.