Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Should we continue?

DisneyIsMyDrug · 14/01/2019 10:18

Hi everyone.
Started potty training DS (2.5) on Friday, with lots of accidents. Didn’t really manage anything in the potty. Saturday was slightly better in that sometimes when I went to the toilet I would get him to come too & he would do a few pees in the potty. Felt much more positive. Sunday was a mixed bag, managed to get a couple of pees & poos in the potty, but generally he would just start peeing THEN head towards the potty (but not sure if that was his decision or us telling him to get on to potty)
Today seems to be the same. He starts peeing before he’s at the potty, & only seems to go on it if we place him on it. We keep reminding him about it. I feel so confused (& stressed although trying not to show it!) as we’re going on holiday to Florida in 5 weeks & I wasn’t sure whether to leave potty training until after that but my mum was kinda pressuring me to get it done beforehand. I just don’t know whether to persevere now we’ve started or just start again once we’re back from holiday.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tappitytaptap · 14/01/2019 15:34

We did this with DS1 at a very similar age with similar results. Like you we were seeing if we could 'crack it' before something (arrival of DS2 in our case!). We gave up and are training again now, about 4/5 months later and it is going much better this time, they seem to change so much in a short amount of time. So don't worry if he's not ready quite yet, even if someone is pressuring you (whilst my mum didn't pressure, she did comment we were trained earlier- terry towelling nappiee were uncomfortable compared to disposables I think!). DS is now 2yrs 9 months.

Please
or

magicroundabouts · 16/01/2019 00:51

Honestly, I would leave it for now. Go and have a great holiday and then try again when you are back home and settled. Why make life more stressful than it needs to be? DS being a couple of months older will probably make things a bit easier too.

Very jealous, would love to go to Florida. Hope you have an amazing time.

Please
or

DisneyIsMyDrug · 17/01/2019 20:53

Thank you for your replies. We decided to leave it for now & try again once there’s no time pressure. I did have a little cry as I felt like I’d failed, but also feel a bit of relief. This parenting thing is hard! And it’s hard not to compare to others, especially when my mum kept saying we were all (I’m 1 of 4) potty trained at 2.4 years & my friend potty trained her 3rd son at 2 years old. Fingers crossed it goes better next time 🤞🏻

OP's posts:
Please
or

tappitytaptap · 21/01/2019 08:47

Oh please don't cry about it, absolutely no reflection on your parenting abilities at all! My DS is bright with excellent speech and understood the concept, he just wasn't ready to do it yet. I know anecdotally several people who didn't train boys until age 3, and mine hasn't yet cracked poos!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.