Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Potty training issue help please

littlelotty83 · 11/10/2018 05:34

We've just started potty training our son (aged 2yrs 7 months). Have gone for the straight to pants option (this will be day 4). We've seen progress - he's having less accidents out of the potty and is increasingly going to sit down on the potty in time for when he wees (even took himself off to poop on it once too!) - However...

he seems unwilling to actually pull his pants down first - eg. he's going to the right place and increasingly at the right time to do his wees etc but because he won't pull his pants down, still ending up with wet/dirty pants! Of all the potential issues I was expecting, this would not have been one of them.

I'm hoping that eventually, through some means or other, he will start pulling them down first but am unsure as to how to proceed for the best. Do we carry on as we are and hope that it will happen one day soon? Do we go back to completely naked on the bottom half (as he has no issue actually sitting on the potty etc) and then introduce pants and pulling them up/down gradually etc. or will he be even less inclined to do it then?

(using all the normal tactics - being calm, stickers/rewards, praise, modelling etc).

Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this before? And if so, what did you do/what happened?

TIA

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mondaytired · 11/10/2018 06:13

He might not be ready yet? My ds was 3 years 3 months when we potty trained him, we had tried at 2.5 years then again about a month before his 3 rd birthday ( we gave it 1ish days each time) and he just didn’t get some aspect of it. Nursery said just wait till he’s ready and bingo .. came home from nursery saying he wanted to wear big boys pants like one of his friends and it literally nappy came off pants went on and he was sorted.
So he might not just get that aspect of it.:: so he might just not be ready?

Please
or

fruitofthenight · 11/10/2018 06:31

I'd go back to naked bottom half then build up wearing clothes again. Are you putting him in loose easy to pull down clothes? Even in baggy bottoms my dc still needed help at first to pull them down because it's a new thing they have to learn. I'd also skip wearing underwear until he's mastered pulling pants down and when you introduce them buy a size or 2 bigger to start with so again they're easier to pull down. Don't be afraid to put him back in nappies if he just isn't getting it, I tried to potty train my dc at 2 and a half and it just wasn't the right time so he went back to nappys and potty trained at 3 in a day with ease.

Please
or

florenceheadache · 11/10/2018 07:15

Naked bottom from now till December (when at home with a nearby potty).

Please
or

DinoGreen · 11/10/2018 09:20

My DS is the same age and potty trained a few months ago - he still needs help pulling his pants up and down. He’s starting to do it himself but just go with him and do it for him for a while.

Please
or

teaandbiscuitsforme · 11/10/2018 22:44

Ditch the pants - loose joggers or pjs for the few weeks and then introduce underwear.

Please
or

60sname · 12/10/2018 23:13

We have spent the past week potty training (my DS is slightly older at just turned 3) and he had a day or two of weeing through the pants (and standing over the potty rather than sitting down) but then it clicked and he has started pulling them down. So this may just be a brief phase as it all falls into place (so to speak).

Please
or

60sname · 12/10/2018 23:15

Ps I dithered re pants/no pants but he was mostly in pants earlier this week to try and contain poo accidents

Please
or

insmithereens · 13/10/2018 13:11

Just help him pull his pants down? My DD has been potty/toilet trained for months but depending on what she's wearing still needs help getting pants/tights/trousers up & down at times & definitely all the time at first

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.