Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Have I messed up?

SomebodysNotInBedYet · 30/06/2018 23:07

I'm panicking that I'm damaging DD (2 next week) by potty training Confused I didn't exactly plan to but 2 nights ago she took her nappy off, sat on the potty and did a wee without any prompting. We went for it yesterday and she did four wees on the potty! Put a nappy on her to go out and it was still dry 3 hours later, when I took it off she weed on the potty.

Today she was good again, had a nappy on for a while to go out but didn't wet it. Later she got really worked up and was begging for a nappy so I let her get one and she told me as soon as it was wet. Most wees on the potty again.

The real trouble came at bedtime. Nappy went on. Went to bed. Asked for potty. Wee in potty. Nappy back on. 10 minutes later she told me it was wet. So we got up to change it. I let her sit on the toilet while I got a clean nappy and she wouldn't get off! I let her sit for a bit but then took her off and put a nappy on. The resulting tantrum will stay with me forever. She sounded like she was being tortured, I won't be surprised if the neighbours have reported us for abuse. She wasn't upset about the nappy going on (didn't seem to notice it once on) but about being taken from the toilet to go to bed. It took half an hour of restraining/cuddling/rocking til she dropped off.

I'm so confused, she's so bloody chuffed when she does a wee in the potty a couple of times she sounded so distressed when I told her to use it (hence letting her wear a nappy when she'd begged for it). I'm worried tonight's tantrum was an indication that she's feeling stressed and we should stop. Sorry for the essay, I'm all worked up Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 01/07/2018 02:42

I think she was just over tired and cranky re the toilet. If she's had a wee in potty and in nappy and then sat on the loo I'm assuming she didn't do more wee sip maybe that confused her and she didn't want to move until she had??

Please
or

SomebodysNotInBedYet · 01/07/2018 07:12

Yes hopefully it was just that. No, I let her sit for a fair while just in case but then I thought she was just using it as a reason not to go to bed.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DieAntword · 01/07/2018 07:28

My son uses “wanting the potty” to delay bedtime. If we say he’s had long enough and has to go to bed he tries a pwdy just in case it works. Nope little one it’s bed time and you’re not getting out of it.

Please
or

spotthedot · 01/07/2018 07:41

You sound like you’re doing great!

As pp have said, it sounds like over tiredness and not wanting to go to bed coupled with a bit of liking the praise of being grown up on the loo!

Maybe make it a habit to take her off if she doesn’t go after a certain amount of time (it’s not good to sit on the loo for ages anyway). Or make a big thing about the joys of flushing and washing hands once she’s off.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.