Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Is it too soon?

BumNugget · 16/06/2018 17:36

We thought we'd give potty training a go today because DS is showing all the signs he's ready. Obviously it's the first day so I wasn't expecting much, but he's had several accidents, and every time I ask if he needs a wee/wants to sit on the potty, he's incredibly avoidant and says no. Only to wee in his clothes not long after with a big announcement 🙃 he's not done one wee on the potty yet. So what I want to know is, is/are the first day(s) usually like this or should I leave it for a few weeks? Sorry for the essay!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeeMyBaby · 17/06/2018 08:38

Is he bare bottomed? If not it's very difficult for him to understand that his clothes don't act like a nappy. And yes, it's pretty normal for a first day if they are under 3yo.

Please
or

BumNugget · 17/06/2018 10:04

Thank you! We put him straight in pants, I thought pull ups might confuse him a bit. Are you saying let him go completely commando?

OP's posts:
Please
or

teaandbiscuitsforme · 17/06/2018 13:13

Definitely naked at first and then I'd just put loose bottom on, no underwear. I used the Oh Crap book and the thinking is that the right feeling of underwear feels like the security of a nappy so they see. You need to break the connection.

Also don't ask if they need a wee, as in don't phrase it as a question. Always say it as a statement so there's less room to argue.

I'd definitely recommend reading the book though. I wouldn't have had a clue without it.

Please
or

teaandbiscuitsforme · 17/06/2018 13:13

*tight feeling of underwear

Please
or

teaandbiscuitsforme · 17/06/2018 13:14

Aargh!

*so they wee

Please
or

BeeMyBaby · 17/06/2018 14:15

Yes completely commando or if that is not possible very loose trousers if he is out of the house. Wait until the end of the second day of being completely commando and if no successes at all you could re-evaluate if you want to continue but if you e not had him commando the whole time then it's not really given him a fair chance.

Please
or

BumNugget · 23/06/2018 17:33

Thank you for the replies! Going commando was definitely more successful Smile he's not asking to use the potty but is going when I tell him to use it.

Great book suggestion too!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?