Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

is he ready or is he just lazy?

Staceyh24 · 13/04/2015 13:46

DS has been potty training now for almost six months. He is 33 months old.
He's not scared of sitting on it and will go on it upon request. (note, he has only ever done three poops)
I'm just in a bit of a pickle because he doesn't actually ask to use it. I sit him on it every 30 Mins or so and say, "do a wee or poop for mummy" and 9 times out of 10 he'll do a small wee.

I believe he's not emptying his bladder completely which could be part of the problem but he will go for a wee and then sometimes, ten mins later - he's wet himself. It doesn't bother him?!
He'll also have accidents around my mother's, and at nursery. up to five in three hours? (he only has one or two accidents at home, because he's nude) Yet, we can go on day trips and he won't have one accident?
It's baffling me and I just can't figure out whether he's ready or just lazy?

I know he knows when he needs a wee because miraculously he decides he needs a wee at meal times. He will also take himself to the potty if he's pantless. I just feel the staff at his nursery think I'm mad that he's in pants. one worker said it's like he's clueless! but the point is he's not surely if he can go a whole day without having an accident if we're out???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Smile xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Staceyh24 · 14/04/2015 09:58

any advice?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Staceyh24 · 15/04/2015 09:50

advice welcome x

OP's posts:
Please
or

SnowCurl · 16/04/2015 18:42

Do you think he might prefer to sit on the toilet like mummy or daddy? I would think (and I could be wrong) that if he can hold his wee/poo for a while without lots of accidents that his bladder is strong enough. It seems common that they will hold out initially as they can be a bit shy.

I used to keep a potty downstairs and take my boy to the loo with me whenever I went. He took a natural preference to using the toilet but used the potty when he was "busy" for convenience. I also used some kids books that encouraged him Pirate Pete and a Mij Kelly book about a little girl called Suzy Sue. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Please
or

SnowCurl · 16/04/2015 18:43

Oh and we had periods where he would be into whatever he was doing and so would just wet himself rather than stop playing, so you are not alone.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.