Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Carry on or stop?

CornishYarg · 01/08/2014 17:09

DS is 2y10m and we're on day 3 of potty training. He will sit on the potty when prompted but so far hasn't sat on it without prompting. (He refuses to sit on the toilet btw; he gets very scared and upset at the idea so I've left it.)

The only time anything has gone in the potty is when I've caught him mid-accident and popped him on the potty for the tail-end. He seemed quite excited by the wee in the potty and watching it go down the toilet, and loved getting a sticker. But every other time, he's had an accident, sometimes only a minute or two after sitting on the potty. He isn't having loads of accidents though and is often going 2 hours or more between wees.

On day 1 he was in pants but wasn't bothered by wet pants so since then he's had nothing on his bottom half. He fusses a bit when he does a wee but soon carries on. I've been calm but firm when he has accidents and tell him to do it in the potty next time.

In case its relevant, he didn't speak till he was 2 and his communication skills aren't great still (HVs are monitoring him). He constantly "narrates" his life and has a good vocabulary, but struggles to answer direct questions or have any sort of conversation. He rarely comes up to me and asks me for things so I wonder if he would come up and tell me he needed a wee. And there's no way he'd be able to articulate any concerns or fears he may have about the potty or toilet.

So after that essay...should we continue or conclude he's just not ready yet? I don't want to give up too easily. But I would have thought we'd have seen some progress by now eg one success? All advice and tips gratefully received!

OP's posts:
Please
or

OutragedFromLeeds · 01/08/2014 19:26

Carry on. It's early days. If you've seen no progress two weeks from starting then it's time to re-evaluate, but you have to give him a fair chance. Most kids take more than three days to crack it.

Please
or

CornishYarg · 02/08/2014 09:17

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was expecting it to take a while but I (perhaps naively!) thought we would have been in a position to at least leave the house for short trips after a few days. But as long as he's not going in the potty at all, I can't see us getting out any time soon. Which absolutely fills me with dread as he's already showing signs of cabin fever - help!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwiggyHeart · 02/08/2014 11:05

Carry on! It took us until day 3 to see any progress, but then confidence increased. Agree with Cornish, if 2 weeks (tough I know) have passed with little or no progress sack it off and try again in another month. Good luck OP!

Please
or

OutragedFromLeeds · 02/08/2014 12:11

You can go out! Take the potty with you. You can get nappy-sheet things to put on the car seat/buggy seat if needed. Just go somewhere where a bit of wee won't matter, the park is probably your best bet. Or go and visit a friend who has wipe clean floors.

Please
or

Blackhandbag · 02/08/2014 22:46

We are quite similar and about a week in. Just to say we have been going out. We've been using those bed mat things (I had a pack I bought for my waters breaking!) and going around with a huge bag filled with clothes.

I try to time going anywhere very public (shops etc) after a pee (potty or otherwise!)

Please
or

Fruitsaladmum · 03/08/2014 18:52

It is only day 3.
I think it is a good idea the no pants.
He is still learning that he can control his pee so having no pants on can help him understand where it comes out.

What we did with our son was give him a big drink of water then let him play outside naked when he did a wee I would praise him about doing a wee wherever. Then when he learned that he could actually control when the wee came out we moved on to proper potty training.

Took about a week to learn about weeing, then about 2 weeks to prompt train (ie he would go in the potty but only if we told him to go sit on the potty). He has only recently started to consistently remember to go to the potty without being prompted (about 4 months in).

With going out we always used to get him to go just before we leave then just before we come back and bring 2 spare pairs of pants and a 'just in case' nappy (if we were on our last pair of pants we would put it on, or if we were somewhere where an accident would have been a disaster). Never had any accidents in the car and people are pretty understanding that toddlers have accidents sometimes.

Please
or

CornishYarg · 03/08/2014 23:08

Thanks all. Now at the end of day 5 and still no progress - no wees in the potty at all Sad. We ventured out today to the park though, as suggested. Took the potty with us although frankly we might as well have taken a cabbage with us for all the interest he shows in it!

Got him to sit on it before we left the park (as he hadn't been for 3 hours) and nothing and said he didn't need a wee. Two minutes later and a torrent of wee came out so he must have been pretty desperate when he sat on the potty but it's as if he can't relax when he's on there and go.

Ho hum, will persevere...

OP's posts:
Please
or

OutragedFromLeeds · 03/08/2014 23:15

Stick with it. Tomorrow could be the day!

Have you tried letting him wee standing up? You can put Cheerios in the loo to give him something to aim at. He might prefer that. Send him to the loo with DH. At the moment you just need him to wee on demand, so try bribes, rewards, making the process interesting/fun. If the potty isn't working for him, try something else.

If he can hold it that well, then he can go on demand, it's just convincing him it's a good idea!

Please
or

TheNumberfaker · 03/08/2014 23:16

Give up and try again in a couple of months! He obviously doesn't want to go on the potty so is either holding it in or completely oblivious. He doesn't need the stress and you don't either so just try later.

Please
or

AnneDena · 05/08/2014 09:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.