Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

so we appear to have started potty training...but is it the wrong way?

HazyShadeOfWinter · 02/01/2014 19:58

DS is 21mo, we've had a potty in our toilet for a little while, and for ages I've been talking to him about wees and poos in potties, telling him what I'm doing when on the toilet etc etc.

He tells us when he's done a poo and can control his wee to an extent as he likes to wee in the bath, stop, laugh, start again, stop, laugh...etc.

The other day he was in toilet with me while I did a wee and after I was done he said 'DS wee' so I sat him on the potty and he did a wee. He did strain a bit so I think he was wanting to copy me rather than actually really needing a wee. Did the stop, laugh, start thing, too. I laughed with him, we made a big deal of it and let him put on the big boy pants with trains on that he got in Christmas stocking.

Since then he's done something similar a few times, mostly it seems he wants to copy us rather than weeing when he needs to, and he strains a bit and stops/starts to laugh. Am a bit worried that this will be damaging long term or is the wrong way to do it.

Today he has demanded to wee in potty before a nap (think was just delaying nap really) then later told me he wanted a wee, refused to get on potty but as I turned away he sat on potty and did it. So I think he's ready-ish, but it isn't exactly planned and the stop/start thing worries me. However the idea of intensive potty training over a week does scare me a bit so my plan is just to go with it while at home, but to keep him in nappies while out and about for a while yet - so basically follow his lead but take it slow.

Any thoughts or advice on similar experiences would be very welcome - thanks if you got this far!

OP's posts:
Please
or

mrscog · 03/01/2014 16:49

I'm not sure - it does sound very early though. I think the best thing at this age is to have a potty to hand so they can experience it but not 'push' it. DS is 22mo and not anywhere near as advanced as your DS but I have been considering getting a potty for him to have out so he can begin to learn about what to do.

Please
or

HazyShadeOfWinter · 03/01/2014 21:54

Thanks MrsCog, agree I don't want to push it - especially around poo as he isn't at all keen on the idea of poos on potties yet, and like you we only got a potty to get him used to them, really. But seems shame to stop him weeing on the thing if he wants to. so walking a line between encouragement of any wees he does but not hassling him or putting pressure at other times.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tortoisesarefab · 03/01/2014 22:58

My ds is 22 months and i had no intention of starting potty training until the summer but he has started to complain about wearing a nappy and tell me he wants to 'wee wee' sometimes he does and sometimes he doesnt but the way i am looking at it is that this phase is about getting them used to the potty and what they need to do on it. My plan is to keep him nappy free as much as possible in the house but put nappies on when out and about for now. I will then see how things develop and just go for it one day if i think he is ready. Ifit doesnt work out will just go back to nappies and try again a few weeks later.

Please
or

HSMMaCM · 03/01/2014 23:02

What you're doing sounds fine to me.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.