Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Several questions! Please help me as I'm clueless!

DorisShutt · 10/09/2013 12:08

A lot bit of background first!

DS is 3 weeks short of his third birthday. He's due to move rooms at nursery (making access to changing room more awkward for staff, although they are happy to change him, but it's spured us on iyswim) so we've been chatting about potty training and big boy pants, despite him not showing any signs that others on MNet have mentioned.

I was planning to start trying him in pants over the weekend as I don't work on a Friday, so we'd have three days before taking him to nursery. BUT... he decided this morning he wanted to wear big boy pants. In fact he stropped about it. So as I've got a day off, I decided to try it after a big discussion about accidents and it wasn't a big deal as he was learning.

Well, he's dry so far - apart from when I had to go out for about an hour, so put him in a pull up; he then pee-d in this as he "don't know" he needs when he's wearing it. He yells "wee wee" and runs off to use the toilet, and he even took himself off to poo!

So my questions:

• Has he spontaneously trained himself?! Shock
  • Should I put him back to nappies for nursery tomorrow/Thursday - or just send in loads of spare clothes?
  • How often should he be peeing? At the moment I seem to get about two or three pees in quick succession over a 10 minute period - almost like he's not totally emptying his bladder? And then nothing for about an hour or so - is this normal?
  • Nighttime; I know he won't be dry, so would nappies or pull ups be better?

TIA! Thanks
OP's posts:
Please
or

ZolaBuddleia · 10/09/2013 12:14

I have a DD, this is what worked for us:

No nappies except at night, no chopping and changing between pants and nappies/pull ups.
Pull ups at night to reinforce the message that nappies are OVER.
Staying very near the potty for the first day or two.
Moving the potty to the bathroom for the third day, then removing it completely.
Using a toilet training seat so she felt safe on toilet (same one at childminder).

Good luck! I was bricking it about potty training but it was totally fine, DD has never had an accident out of the house.

Please
or

DorisShutt · 10/09/2013 13:46

We've skipped the potty and gone straight for the toilet with an inset seat as this is what he's be using at nursery so we're trying to keep things the same.

I'm going to see how he goes this afternoon - he's accepting a nappy for naps (or is now!) so I'm thinking they should be okay until I run out.

I'm just a bit concerned about nursery tomorrow, even if he is okay today.

Argh! Why isn't there a manual?! Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or

ZolaBuddleia · 10/09/2013 16:34

Ah, DD had stopped napping before we potty trained her, so we didn't have to deal with that.

I know, there should be a reset button or something.

Please
or

FairyPenguin · 10/09/2013 16:38

Both times, we switched to pull-ups straight away for naps and night time. Rest of time, carry around lots of changes of clothes! The Potette is very good for out and about especially if you might not be close to a toilet.

Tell nursery that he's using toilet and not potty so they keep it consistent. Oh, and the strange pattern of weeing sounds quite normal as my DS does that too. Good luck!

Please
or

DorisShutt · 10/09/2013 16:49

Oh thank goodness to the weeing pattern! I'll look into the potette thing too - thank you for the suggestion.

He's been really good today - only one accident so far, touch wood! which was a combination of me having nipped out to the garage for something and him being absorbed in playing!

I think I'll risk pants at nursery - they're a brilliant nursery and I'm happy they'll remind him to go. I'll provide 3 "changes" of clothes (so four sets in total) and if he gets to the "final" change, I'll have given them pull-ups so they can move to those to prevent further accidents.

I've still got about 30 nappies left - so I think I'll use them at nighttime, but pull ups for daytime naps if he's having one; he's dropping them, but does still need one every few days.

Still hunting a manual for him though!

OP's posts:
Please
or

FairyPenguin · 10/09/2013 16:59

Nurseries tend to have spare clothes for emergencies anyway. Some nurseries even wash the clothes for you and give them back clean and dry!

Potette is good because it absorbs the wee so you don't have to find somewhere to empty the potty! We even took one camping last month for nighttime. Not that environmentally friendly but we've used so few bags as its emergency only that it's been brilliant.

Please
or

DorisShutt · 11/09/2013 18:03

Well, DS demanded pants for nursery and managed to get through the day (8am to 5pm so 9 hours) with 3 accidents, which nursery have said isn't too shabby for his second day as one was due to the toilet being occupied so be couldn't get in there or make it to the other one at the end of the corridor.

They were really lovely about him deciding to self-train (I was very apologetic about him having picked yesterday and not the weekend) and said that once he decides, all I can do is run with it; which is basically what I thought.

He did come home tonight and ask for a nappy (but he's almost dropping with tiredness - only waiting for DH to come home I think) however we've compromised on a pull-up; I can tell he's used it, but I'm not making a fuss.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.