Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

6wks into potty training 3yr old, going from bad to worse

Pixietreetops · 27/08/2013 19:37

Ok, so I'm new to you lovely lot but I don't know where else to turn!

Started potty training DS2 just after he turned 3, about 6 weeks ago. All the usual tricks - reward chart, choccy buttons etc, all started well. He got the hang of wees (he went straight to standing up at the toilet like DS1 and Daddy) I'd ask him, he'd go, all good.

Poos were a different matter - always took himself off to a quiet place and do one in his pants... Tried the potty in front of the telly, or with a book or with some Lego to play with -he did one! Set off fireworks and he got rewards etc. since then we've had whole days where he's been using the loo for every wee, but had a poo in his pants. Some days it's been hit and miss. The last days we've been lucky if he's had one wee in the loo. We'll ask and ask and remind and promise things but nothing. Wees and poos in pants all over the place. When asked 'why didn't you do it in the loo? I asked you.....' The response is 'because I wanted to.' He's always quick to tell us (or as it would appear being 'proud' of it) 'done a wee, mummy' but there is no 'ohh I need a wee!' And run off to the loo like he did in the beginning. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't starting nursery in 2 weeks and they are going to take a dim view of his attitude. He really doesn't care that he's done it, or if I threaten to put him back in nappies. We've started with-holding biscuits, treats, ice creams etc until he does things where he should do. He knows where it's supposed to go - he talks the talk 'wees and poos go in the loo - then I can have an ice lolly!' But then just doesn't. What on earth can I do??? Any advice would be gratefully received x

OP's posts:
Please
or

mikkii · 27/08/2013 19:39

To be honest, the poo always takes longer, but given the regression with wees, I would be tempted to go back to nappies.

Do you think he might be worried about nursery?

Please
or

Pixietreetops · 27/08/2013 19:42

He doesn't seem to be - the nursery is attached to the school DS1 goes to and he's been dying to get in there and play. I also haven't gone on about it much as its only 3 hours a day and he seems happy about it. Do you think I could be wrong? X

OP's posts:
Please
or

mikkii · 28/08/2013 23:32

Maybe not, it was just that sometimes children regress when something is bothering them, and nursery could be a trigger. Even if he is excited, he may still be a bit apprehensive about the changes.

You may find that he is better at nursery as a lot of children are guided by peers behaviour, and are also more willing t please adults other than their parents. I found DD2 was happy to be prompted or a wee at nursery, but hated me asking her.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.