Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Already at a loss of how to do this

backinaminute · 07/08/2013 16:10

A few days ago my ds (2.4) asked to do a wee on the potty. Never did I think he would but its been in the living room for ages so he sat on it and hurrah! There was a weeGrin. I gave him a dolly mixture and he was thrilled and so was I. He didn't want his nappy back on.

Decision was made that this will be the week but he was at nursery yesterday, we were out today, nursery tomorrow but then 3 free days from Friday onwards. However as soon as we are home he is whipping his nappy off and asking to do a wee on the potty. All sounds good however....... he keeps squeezing out a tiny dribble of wee (enough to make the music play on his potty) and asking for a sweet. He did this last night so today we have switched to a sticker/chocolate button combo.

He did this 6 times within half an hour when we got back this afternoon. He hasn't mentioned a potty while we have been out.

I keep reading about 4 or 5 wees a day and I'm not sure what to do. Should I keep giving him a sticker for these tiny bits of dribble? Does it mean he's not quite ready?

I am completely under prepared and this has taken me by surprised. Been meaning to read up on potty training for ages but haven't. I've also got a miserable teething 8mo so being housebound will be fun Grin

I'm not sure what to do about nursery. Shall I send him in a nappy to nursery despite being in pants all afternoon? I just feel sending him in pants is totally unfair to him and nursery staff - I don't want to traumatise him but I keep reading about not confusing them by switching.

Just wondered what other people have done or if anyone has any advice? Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

cathpip · 07/08/2013 16:23

Send him in pants, nursery will be perfectly capable of dealing with the potty training. I would just keep going it sounds like he is perfectly ready, my dd decided 3 weeks ago that she did not need a nappy and we have not looked back, just remember to take spare clothes with you I case of an accident. (Never needed the choc/sticker combo so couldn't comment on that part)

Please
or

justanuthermanicmumsday · 07/08/2013 16:33

Remove the nappy completely otherwise he will be confused. He is clearly ready and eager to get stuck in keep encouraging that. Yes I would give him a small treat in the first few weeks for every wee done in the potty.

Have u read potty training in 2 weeks? The title is misleading but the info in the book is really useful it's a tiny quick read get it.

After he s successful with using the potty confidently slowly move the pot closer by a few metres to the bathroom area, so that you eventually reach the bathroom without accidents. Once this is achieved ditch the potty for the toilet with a toilet seat if you wish.

I did this with my son he was ready in 1 week for the toilet. With my daughter I didn't use the potty went straight for a toilet seat as I noticed my son was scared to use the toilet as he had got comfy with the potty.

If the nursery accept kids who aren't fully potty trained in pants then put him in pants and pack extra clothing for him. Avoid the nappy at all costs as this will make him backtrack.

I have to potty train my other daughter now a similar age to yours she has to go nursery in the new year I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Please
or

backinaminute · 07/08/2013 16:46

Thank you both.

I just rang nursery and they are happy to have him in pants tomorrow do that's it then, no more nappies!

I haven't ready any books. Someone said that the Gina Ford book is good. She's not normally my cup of tea so was a bit hesitant. Who is the 2 week one by? Again thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.