Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Won't wee, just holds it in and is uncomfortable.

Panda27 · 03/07/2013 10:08

I have 2 children (girls, age 2.1) that I have just started potty trying 2 days ago child one has got it instantly, has been taking herself every time for poos too. But child 2 will hold it, sit on the potty but as soon as she starts to wee she holds it again and gets upset, by all the guide lines of when she should be able to potty train- she is ready, she knows what to do but just won't, she spends ages fidgeting running to the potty sitting on it, but again when it's about to come out she panics gets upset and runs about fidgeting again until she cannot hold it any longer. Last night she woke her self up in the night needing a wee but still wouldn't go. Her nappy dry all night. It's horrid to see her so uncomfortable. And no matter how much praise I give her it's not changing anything yet. I have also tried going straight to the toilet on a child seat but its no different to the potty. Has any one got any advice to help me please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

dairymilk27 · 03/07/2013 11:23

Sorry - no advice to give, but watching with interest, as my DD1 is doing the same thing!! It's driving us all crazy, she can get extremely upset, but is very stubborn, and won't go for a wee at all.

Please
or

bunchofposy · 09/07/2013 16:37

This happened with my DD, she started holding in wee for absolutely hours when we started potty training the first time.

We went back to nappies, and stopped talking about it and eventually she relaxed and started weeing more regularly (in a nappy). 3/4 months later she started saying she wanted to wee on the toilet because she saw the others doing it at her childminder. She preferred the toilet seat with handles as she felt more secure so I took that everywhere I went.

It is really stressful when they don't wee for so long and are obviously so uncomfortable. I thought it would never end but just to reassure you that it did! One thing is we did take her to the doctor to check she didn't have a UTI. She didn't but our childminder thought we should check just in case.

Pooing has been a different story though, so I consider myself no expert on potty training!

Please
or

Laineyweb · 18/07/2013 20:17

Sorry, don't have any advice, but my DD seems to be starting to hold it in; I think she absolutely knows what is going on but just seems scared to let it out into the potty or in the toilet. I guess the best thing is indeed to go back to nappies and after a few days of not focusing on it she might well go back to normal. Good luck.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.