Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Started too soon??

mrsfassbender · 21/08/2012 16:46

DS 31 months. Started training this week, but worried now he isn't ready. He has managed two wees (over 3 days) in the potty - these were when I put him on myself for about 10 mins. The rest of the time he's had accidents (both wee and poo) and I am just worried now that he hasn't made the connection himsefl when he is going to wee. Several of the accidents are when I have literally just taken him off the potty, and his bum is going red from being sat on it so much!! Have elder DD who was slightly younger when we trained her but she got it straight away
Thoughts??!

OP's posts:
Please
or

mrsfassbender · 21/08/2012 17:18

bump

OP's posts:
Please
or

MamaMary · 21/08/2012 17:19

Sorry, no experience in this but wanted to bump for you.

Please
or

mrsfassbender · 21/08/2012 17:28

Thanks you Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

mrsfassbender · 21/08/2012 17:29

thank you, even!

OP's posts:
Please
or

AllOverIt · 21/08/2012 17:34

Maybe. I think I started too soon with my DS, he was 2.10. It was a painful journey, but we got there in the end, though he's nearly six and still in pullups, do maybe not Wink

I would persevere for a few more days, and if it's not working, back in pullups for a couple of months. I wish I'd done that with DS, it might have saved my sanity!

Potty training DD for the second time at the moment having started at Easter and not having much luck. She's 3.2 and it's been easier this time. She still having poo accidents every day, but she's cracked the wees (touch wood!)

Good luck. It's been, by far, the worst bit of parenthood for me. Can't wait until this phase is over Grin

Please
or

AllOverIt · 21/08/2012 17:35

Pull ups AT NIGHT, that should read Blush

Please
or

mrsfassbender · 21/08/2012 17:40

well that makes me feel better tbh, I had worried I'd left it too late but there is also pressure to get it done before next month for work reasons. I will give it a few more days and see....think i have this misconception that once you've started you can't go back!

OP's posts:
Please
or

AllOverIt · 21/08/2012 19:56

I think that's what people tell you and, on the whole, that's right. However, if it's turning into a frickin' nightmare an it's upsetting for both of you (I was getting quite cross with DD and she was getting frustrated and started going backwards) then the decision to go back to pullups and start afresh in a couple of months is a sensible one.

Good luck! Smile

Please
or

OnlineMummum · 21/08/2012 20:59

Same here. We tried when our DD was 2.5 years old and it was a nightmare. Everyone was frustrated. We gave up and decided to give it more time. On the day of her 3rd birthday, DD decided she did not want any diaper / pull up anymore and that was the end of it! It was entirely her decision to be ready and we only got accidents the first 2 days. Smile

Please
or

tetherendtoo · 22/08/2012 10:07

its too early. give the poor wee lad and yourself a break. try every couple of months for a day or so and one day it will just happen. no fuss no tears (yours) and no red bottoms. girls are a different kettle of fish and develope in this dept a bit quicker. i have 2 boys and they were well past 3.5 before it clicked and have just stared with daughter and fourth day in and only 2 years and she has dry pants all day. oh and try lots of big stickers as reward.

Please
or

mrsfassbender · 22/08/2012 17:05

sorry for disappearing, I decided to give up today after a very runny poo all over t'living room, think he has a tummy upset and that sort of decided it. Thank you for your post tetherendtoo that has made me feel a lot better. I think I am going to try again over Oct half term week and til then just take him in the loo with us when poss and let him play with his potty!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.