Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Early potty training can 'harm toddlers' - had anyone seen this?

mamalovebird · 20/07/2012 13:44

Oh shit, I've just potty trained my 2.6 year old and he's loving being a big boy and using the toilet. Have I really set him up for a life time of IBS and urinary tract infections?

Bloody Daily Mail again

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2176253/Its-accident-Doctor-says-early-toilet-training-HARM-potty-prodigies-shouldnt-attempted-age-three.html

Tell me he'll be okay....

OP's posts:
Please
or

naturalbaby · 20/07/2012 13:46

Ds1 was potty trained by 2 1/2yrs. He was a very laid back baby and the last to do everything - wouldn't sit up till around 10months, refused to crawl so I was surprised he was in pants so early ...
I'm not even going to bother reading the article!

Please
or

BedHog · 20/07/2012 13:48

In the days of terry toweling nappies, most toddlers were potty trained as soon as possible to minimise washing - I was trained at a year old apparently Hmm, so if this was true I suspect the entire population of over 25s would be suffering from IBS.

But it's the Daily Mail so it must be true!! Grin

Please
or

Notgrownupinmyhead · 20/07/2012 13:49

Deep breaths. Ill find you help for being such a terrible mother Grin

Are they mad? What next weaning your child may lead to a lifetime of obesity? These people are crackers, i shall read the link.

Bless him, bet hes dead pleased with himself. I remember PT ds1 about that age it was funny. Lots of pics of him on the potty to show at his 18th Wink wait til he wants a step to wee in the toilet. Grin

Please
or

mamalovebird · 20/07/2012 13:49

DS seemed interested in using the toilet so we gave a try and he took to it brilliantly and loves his new pants. Now he wants to stand up but I have to try and convince it just won't work. Having ready the comments below the article, the doctor is getting a bit of a pasting so looks like another scare mongering article from the Fail.

OP's posts:
Please
or

mamalovebird · 20/07/2012 13:52

oops, so many typos Blush

OP's posts:
Please
or

DarrowbyEightFive · 20/07/2012 14:04

I suspect the truth is more like, people who are insistent on training their DC at a ridiculously early age, at a year or so, are more likely to risk problems, but even that is by no means certain. 2.6 was certainly earlier than we went for it, but of course some DC are going to be perfectly ready by then, and not in the least damaged by the experience. We gradually started at 2.7/2.8 but with no pressure (just getting the potty out for them to try out), and then did the whole thing very easily when they just turned 3 - since then we've had virtually no accidents, so it worked well for us. But of course you've got to use a bit of common sense to look at how ready your DC are and what feels best for you.

Having said that, we live in Germany, and it's definitely my feeling that parents in the UK are keen on training a few months earlier, and more proactively, than German parents.

We DO have an example of friends who managed to psychologically really damage their DD by pushing training too early. This was a Spanish friend who was put under extreme pressure by her own mother to train from a year onwards and used being dry as a measure of parental success. This friend kept on asking us in our group of friends 'so, is your DD dry yet?', and we all replied, 'er no, we're not even thinking about it yet'. They persisted with the training regardless, and then by the time their DD was 5 she was shitting everywhere apart from on the toilet, presumably because she associated it with stress and misery. She got sent to a child psychologist who spent ages trying to 'deprogramme' her from that way of thinking. But her situation was extreme.

The article is the typical Daily Fail, er, shit. Ignore.

Please
or

Notgrownupinmyhead · 20/07/2012 15:00

I forgot about the pants thing! Is he showing them off to everyone? Cute.

Please
or

brettgirl2 · 20/07/2012 18:21

Once again it is an example of a total disregard for the difference between link and causality. It is saying that withholding is bad.

DD1 was a withholder who potty trained herself at 2.4. The ability to withhold shows awareness and control - therefore surely withholders are more likely to potty train early showing this so-called link. Mine withheld less once she is out of nappies. Therefore it could also be later potty training and over reliance on nappies that is the cause.

Please
or

festivalwidow · 25/07/2012 13:57

Hm, I wonder which nappy manufacturer sponsored that article? Hmm
Total twaddle IMO.
Toddlers train when they want to. There's a world of difference between pressurising and facilitating - punishing your child for soiling or wetting would be likely to lead to issues, but leaving a potty out and the nappy off is quite another thing.
I trained DD at 2.4 after weeks of pressure - from her - to do so. We're now coming up to a month accident-free, which is nice, and importantly, she's very happy.

Please
or

sheepsgomeeping · 27/07/2012 18:52

Im worried now too because dd has had a week where she has been dry with no pressure from me at all. She's 2.2 and has literally done it herself. Today she has hit a bit of a block where she wouldnt wee at all and seemed reluctant to wee although has done a poo.

Ive not commented and she asked for a nappy on which I did and im just going to follow her lead and not fuss but I just hope ive not damaged her now by letting her train too early

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.