Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bladder control in boys - any experts or opinions please?

BordersMummy · 15/06/2012 13:34

Hello there. DS is 2 and a half and we've recently started potty training. I'm beginning to think that he's not physically ready. He is weeing an awful lot. He never seems to know it is coming in advance - but I realise this is common at the beginning stages of potty training. But he's literally weeing every 10-15 minutes at certain stages of the day. Today we've had 10 wees so far. They tend to come in blocks, so 3 in half an hour, i.e. every 10 minutes or so. Then an hour's break. Then 3 in 10 minutes. And so on. It's a bit of a nightmare.

How do you know when bladder control is sufficiently developed to potty train successfully?

OP's posts:
Please
or

misslala1987 · 15/06/2012 16:19

hey, no at 2 1/2 he should be getting used to going without nappies completely. though saying that! does not mean he wont wet the bed at night or wet himself during the day. with my eldest son i started potty training at around 18 months then at 2 i stop nappies completely i just thought 'let do this'! he wet the bed many times but before his 3rd birthday he was dry and hes 7 now and only had about 3 accidents ever since! my youngest son though he was completely toilet trained at 2 because i was pregnant with their sister i wanted to kind of get most of the training done, well! after their sister was born he was 2 1/2 he completely reverted back! so training began all over again. hes 4 now and still wets the bed usually once a week and has the occasional accident during the day. but were getting there. you basically want to stock up on bed mats and a mattress protector! and persivere. me personally i wouldnt spend too much time on the potty, buy a toddler seat for the toilet and try get him on that. i think each childs bladder control is different but maybe try no drink 2 hours before bed, making sure he goes potty before you leave the house or put him on it every half an hour if needed! im now about the enter the world of potty training a girl which ive got a feeling might be slightly harder :s lol x

Please
or

babybouncer · 17/06/2012 10:55

2 1/2 is still pretty young for potty training. My ds used to start acting strangely when he felt a wee about to start, which helped us to teach him when to go.

Please
or

AdventuresWithVoles · 17/06/2012 10:59

He should be able to go a minimum hour without weeing before you try to toilet train. most can do it already at this age, but he just isn't ready, I'd respect that. Try again in 4-6 months.

Please
or

AdventuresWithVoles · 17/06/2012 11:01

tbh, mine ran around nappy-free loads before I tried to formally potty train. So i knew full well how long they could go between wees. I had them running around bottom-naked & weeing in the garden to start.

Please
or

welliesandpyjamas · 17/06/2012 11:03

With my first son I did what I thought was expected of me i.e. to start potty training by a certain age and make it happen regardless. This was followed by the usual wettings or clothes, peeing of bed, accidents here and there and everywhere, and worst of all a lot of upset for him. It tookmuntil he was 4.5 to be totally ok with the whole toilet thing, maybe a bit more with pooing.

With my second son I left the potty out and waited until he decided he was ready to start using it (took a couple of months despite knowing what it was for). And he potty trained himself quickly with very few accidents, only a couple of bed wettings, and absolutely no 'toilet issues' or constipation at all. A dream by comparison. And this was all before he was 3.

That's just my experience to share. It has taught me that they'll do it when feel ready and that pushing them is bad news for everyone.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.