Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Potty training before longhaul flight?

mistresspenguin · 08/04/2012 22:55

My DS is 2.3 and we're going to the US in June. We went when he was 1 and it was a bit of a squeeze on the changing flap table. Imagine it will be slightly more challenging now he's bigger/wrigglier/even less co-operative.

Just wondered (in the unlikely event we are successful at this age!) whether its better to have a potty trained toddler on a longhaul flight, or if it's easier with nappies despite the lack of space?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LoopyLoeufdePaques · 08/04/2012 22:58

I'd like to know too please! :)

Please
or

3duracellbunnies · 08/04/2012 23:53

Probably nappies. Dd2 was dry for about 5 weeks before we went on 2hr flight. Trouble is, at that stage when they need to go, they need to go. Even when you are going through security, thankfully had potty and sat her by the guards to express her frustration at the long wait. Don't mess with a pregnant woman and newly potty trained toddler.

You would need to be anticipating how far he goes between wees so he doesn't need to go on take off/landing and certainly would need travel potty in case toilets are occupied. Unless he seems really keen to be potty trained I would leave it, or do it sooner rather than a few weeks before.

Please
or

hermionestranger · 08/04/2012 23:57

Gosh, erm well here's the thing. You just don't know how it will go.

Ds1 has done both types of longhaul. On nappies was easy and potty training turned him into bladder of iron child! Flew all the way to JFK, picked up hire car and got halfway to Connecticut before he decide, whilst we were in traffic FFs, that he needed a POOH! NOW MUMMY!

So in answer to your question; both were ok and easy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.