Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Been psyching myself to go cold turkey - now chickening out! Am 'I' ready?!

LizziePizzie · 27/02/2012 09:55

My DD is 20 months and has been showing signs for AGES that she is ready. She is aware when she poos, pulls down her nappy before being changed, wants me to put her poo in the toilet, is happy with nappy off time, is happy sitting (briefly) on the potty and occasionally, when being watched like a hawk, has been for a poo on the potty.

I have Wednesday and Thursday off work this week, my parents have her on Fridays (they are on board with helping with this) and then the weekend, so I have 5 good days in a row to concentrate on this. Plan of attack ? cold turkey!

HOWEVER the thing that is stopping me is I am not prepared to be housebound for those 4 days I have her. I have swimming, a local NCT meet and her baby group that she loves. I am quite happy to deal with the consequences of multiple accidents and changes of clothes, but should I not go out for those couple of days for the sake of the bigger picture of a potty trained child? Or can I do this, and still carry on with our packed lives?

The other dilemma I have is to use training pants or go straight to knickers? I have some totsbots training pants, and I was thinking about using my bitti tutto nappies without any liners.

Thoughts, advice greatly appreciated?

OP's posts:
Please
or

seeker · 27/02/2012 09:58

If you think you'll have to be housebound, she's too young. Wait. Potty training takes 10 minutes if you leave it later.

Please
or

suburbandream · 27/02/2012 10:02

She is still young so I wouldn't rush. Don't do it unless you are 100% committed, if you're not sure wait a bit. The longer you leave it, the quicker it will get sorted IME. Re training pants, I wouldn't bother. I used pull-ups at night but during the day it's got to be proper knickers or it's too confusing. If you wait till the weather's a bit better it won't be such a pain doing all the extra washing either Grin

Please
or

Dandare · 27/02/2012 11:16

If you want to try it then I think it sounds like you would be ok to go out and do your usual stuff - all child friendly places, and sounds like you have the gear. Just take clothes too. Its a nightmare tho isn't it?!

Please
or

LizziePizzie · 27/02/2012 12:30

We always fill our days so I think even if i left it a month or 2 I would still be too busy! Also, we both get cabin fever if we stay at home inside all day (I have no garden).

OP's posts:
Please
or

anniemac · 27/02/2012 15:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

LizziePizzie · 27/02/2012 16:23

Oh she can talk! the problem is getting her to shut up! :o

Mumeeeee Mumeeeeeeeee Mume

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlackSwan · 29/02/2012 22:04

So what happened?! Did you do it? Hope you do get out and about without a nappy. It's no tragedy to have a few accidents on the road. They don't have massive bladders - they generally only wet their own clothing.

Please
or

LizziePizzie · 02/03/2012 10:24

Well...

On Wedensday we went through 9 pairs of leggings, nickers and socks! (Tips for those wanting to do this - crocs or other plastic shoes as they can be rinsed clean easily!). Didn't want to sit on the potty for more than a mili second and cried if i made her stay more.

Thursday I changed 4 sets of leggings, nickers and socks and had one successful potty session. I sat her on the potty immediately after she woke from her nap. She cried at first, but then bribery with a chocolate button worked wonders and she sat there eating it. Then she weed and I neearly cried I was so happy. I didn't need another chocolate button, she was so happy I was happy!

Things I have learnt - she doesn't wee when she is in the car (1 hour journey) and she doesn't wee when she has her nap.

Today my Mum has her so I will have to see how she goes with another person...

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlackSwan · 02/03/2012 13:34

That's great! It's such an event getting that first pee into the potty! Glad you're getting a break from training, it can get pretty intense.

Please
or

LizziePizzie · 06/03/2012 13:08

Now we are on day 7 and there have been successful trips to the potty and toilet. She now sits on them without screaming. (Chocolate buttons had limited success.)

The D&V hasn't helped though..... my poor washimng machine!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dewar23 · 12/03/2012 22:06

I would agree just go for it. If you think your child is ready you may swell start. I am stay at home mum so I didn't have a set amount of days aside . I got rid of all nappies pants only no potty just big toilet and within 2 weeks DD fully potty trained day and night. Few messy days here and there but not as stressful as anticipated. I believe if you don't make big deal of it and just get on with it child will too.
Xx

Please
or

LizziePizzie · 26/03/2012 10:05

Update - we have had 2 dry days (And nights amazingly) and that was 3 1/2 weeks. I am so proud of her!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.