Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Is ds ready or is he too young?

Eclairwaldorf · 10/02/2012 10:23

Hi

DS is 20 months and for a few weeks now has been telling me straight away when he has done his poo. Is this a sign that he is ready, I had been planning on waiting until the summer to potty train him but is it worth starting now? He doesn't have a massive vocabulary but can say 'poo' and 'dirty'.....

Also tips on how to actually start would be appreciated and also what I need to purchase. Are potties better than the seats you put over your normal toilet? And what do you do when you are out and about? So many questions because I haven't even looked into it whereas I normally research things to death!!

Also is it me or is quite emotional potty training your pfb? He's not my baby anymore .......

OP's posts:
Please
or

leftmymistletoeatthedoor · 10/02/2012 10:28

I would have thought that unless he tells you BEFORE he poos then he's not ready. Dd tells me as soon as she's pooed but is only 16 months and no where near ready - doesn't tell me when she's wet for example.

When I potty trained ds he never pooed outside the house (still doesn't!) So I didn't take a potty / toilet seat anywhere so can't help on that point. However, I think its important to ensure they wait to get to a toilet to go iyswim - imo potty training by constantly having a potty within 1 foot is missing the point.

Ds was quite tall for his age and the normal pottys had him doubled up - he preferred the toilet seat on the loo but got a bit scared abvout falling in so sometimes used a larger potty.

I wasn't emotional training ds but I will be when doing dd 'cos she's my last baby!!

Please
or

Eclairwaldorf · 10/02/2012 10:31

Thanks miseltoe, didn't think about it that way that he doesn't tell me til after Blush. Am happy to wait til he is about 2 anyway so will wait a few months more...

OP's posts:
Please
or

leftmymistletoeatthedoor · 10/02/2012 10:36

Even 2 would be young. We tried ds at 2y3m and he just didn't get it. He worked it out when we tried again at 2y7m and most of his friends were about the same or a bit later.

Please
or

BlackSwan · 10/02/2012 13:29

Beg to differ - if you wait for your son to tell you he's about to wee/poo as a sign that he is ready to potty train he will likely go to school in nappies. The fact that he is already telling you that he has done a poo is significant and a sign that he may be ready to train. Buy a potty/training seat and start getting him used to the idea of going on the potty.

Please
or

leftmymistletoeatthedoor · 10/02/2012 17:03

Really blackswan? Ds refused to pee / poo in a nappy from 2y7m.

Like I say dd has been saying straight away when she's pooed from 12 months but I wouldn't consider training her.

Please
or

kilmuir · 10/02/2012 17:23

worth a try. none of mine really liked the potty. buy lots of cheap pairs pants or just commando in the house.
all my girls started around 18 months

Please
or

Beamur · 10/02/2012 17:28

He is young, but he is aware that something has happened. I'd agree with the idea of getting some potties/training seat and getting him used to them and maybe get him to sit on them when you're getting him ready for the bath and the nappy is off.
Potties might be easier as he is small - he can get on and off by himself.
I wouldn't go for a full on, cold turkey potty training yet, but there's no harm in introducing the idea of using the potty.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.