Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Out and about when potty training, what do you do?! Think I've got it wrong!

pixipie151 · 01/01/2012 20:01

Started potty training DD yesterday as had whole day at home. Today needed to go out for friends birthday, and realised I dont know what to do out and about. We panicked and put her in a nappy as didn't want to stress her out putting her on a public toilet or taking the potty with us. I think this is probably confusing for her, so going forward, what do you do?! Sorry to sound so bloody thick!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThierryHenryismyBoyfriend · 01/01/2012 20:03

It's difficult when you first start but I spent pretty much 4 days in the house and when I then went out I took a potty and if needed stopped the car and put it on the front seat so my son could go.

It seemed to work quite well. Good luck.

Please
or

zest01 · 01/01/2012 20:06

With mine I just ditched the nappies, took a couple of sets of spare clothes and we just got on with it. I put a towel on top of a plastic bagin the car seat (just in case) and checked people were ok with us coming and risking an accident. WE did have the odd mishap but it's good for them to get used to going in different loos imo. We didn't use a potty, just straight to toilet.

When visiting/out and about though I find they can get distracted as can you so it's a good idea to remind them more often and maybe pop them on the loo every 30 min or so!

Please
or

CokeFan · 01/01/2012 20:07

One of these Potette things for out and about. It folds out open to fit on top of a proper toilet or the legs fold down and you put a bag in it to make it into a potty.

I got mine on eBay and because I'm so cheap thrifty, I don't buy the proper bags but got some carrier bags (making sure you get ones without holes because sellotape does not work!) and optionally sticking an own brand sanitary towel in the bottom of each one.

We still use pull-ups occasionally so dd has the option of going to the potty but there aren't quite so many changes of clothes. Some people use them, some don't.

Please
or

ChablisLover · 01/01/2012 20:09

I blocked out a week and tried not to go out at all or even just short trips to shop or gp's house.

Purchased a travel potty but think in hindsight it was a waste of money.

Putting nappies back on for me was a no no. I thought he would be confused and friends who have done that seemed to take longer to potty train.

I would wait for a week where you have no arrangements and just stay in and potter about the house.

How old is your child? I waited until the last possible minute as he needed to be potty trained to go to nursery at 3 yo. And I have to say that it was the best thing. We managed dry days in about 5 days and I have to say dry nights followed shortly on. Helps that ds is so fussy he hates being wet even a splash can cause an outpouring of emotion like you would not believe.

Good luck

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.