Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ds is 2 and what shall I do? Keep going with the flow? Or try to "train"?

Mapley · 14/04/2011 14:04

My ds is 2. He's been in cloth nappies since he was 3 months and from 9 months he began to refuse to poo in his nappies, so I bought a potty and he'd poo on that at nappy changes. As the months went on we got into a rythym of offering him the potty at every nappy change, and I'd invariably be changing a clean dry nappy, and he'd wee and poo in the potty. By about 16 months he could tell me by sign language that he needed the toilet, wanted to use the toilet and would do the majority of poos and wees in the toilet. Ofcourse he couldn't take his own trousers off, and couldn't walk yet so didn't reliably take himself to the toilet, so it wasn't all him. I did consistently offer the toilet at the same times and notice if he was telling me he needed. But still by 18 months we were only washing a couple of damp nappies a day.

But then at 20 months he walked, and suddenly was not interested in the toilet atall. Suddenly I'm washing 8 sopping pooing nappies a day! I'm still offering the toilet regularly, but usually he's refusing and using his nappies. So I try to chill out and continue to be led by him.

The last few weeks he's got into it again. Can now say poo, potty, wee. Like to sit down on the potty himself. Yesterday he came and told me potty, then ran off to the bathroom, sat down on his potty, had a poo and then tipped it in the toilet and flushed! He's still wearing nappies, altho I usually leave him bare bummed at home. I'm maybe washing 2 or 3 dampnappies day again now, but he's not consistent . We have maybe one rogue wee that soak all his clothes every couple of days, maybe a poo ey nappy a week.

So what to do? Get rid of the nappies? Training pants? Or continue to let him do his own thing until he can take his own trousers down? Leave him bare bottomed all summer?

OP's posts:
Please
or

greensnail · 14/04/2011 20:46

I don't know but I'm in a similar situation. DD1 is 2.4, always been in cloth nappies with a lot of nappy-off time at home.

Around 15 months she was really into the potty and wanted to use it a lot. Then dd2 arrived and we moved house and she completely went off the idea so we put the potty away until she was ready.

The last few weeks she's been interested again so we got the potty out. She's absolutely perfect with it when bare bummed - not one accident since we got the potty out. So we tried her in pants. She's very keen to wear them, but can't pull them down herself very easily and just seems to forget to use the potty when she's wearing them. I really don't know what to do next. It seems a shame to put her back in nappies when she's obviously capable of using the potty, but I don't want to push her forward when she's not ready.

Please
or

missmapp · 14/04/2011 21:02

I would keep going as you are, then when we get a good strech of hot weather so he can run about outside, go cold turkey and remove the nappies. I dont think it matters how long the stage your in now goes on, but I thinnk that when you do take nappies away you mustnt go back to nappies, as this can confuse the little darlings, so make sure youve got a clear run without any holiodays or other distractions, before you start.
Good luck

Please
or

NellyTheElephant · 17/04/2011 09:48

If he's back to being willing again then I would go for it while he's being compliant. Otherwise he might lose interest again and start the belligerent two year old routine! You will never get him completely out of nappies until you take the plunge and ditch nappies completely as he knows that is is still ok to use a nappy - to him it's just an alternative loo really so if you want him out of nappies you need to remove that option completely. You'll then probably find that you have a week or so of regular accidents and then it will level off to the occasional accident that every newly potty trained child has.

I honestly don't think you need to wait until they can always reliably take their own clothes off. Obviously it's best to stick to really easy pull on trousers in the early days but once they have the control they will call you to help if they need it e.g. DD2 was trained at 22 months, she couldn't always manage her own clothes but would call for help and had the control to hang on. In fact I don't think either of my girls became completely independent (i.e. always taking themselves off to the loo on their own and managing clothes) until well after they were reliably trained and in any event they still needed help with wiping and hand washing etc for ages so I (or at nursery one of the nursery staff) continued to be involved and helping until probably they were closer to 3.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 17/04/2011 09:58

Google "elimination communication potty pause" (no quotes)

Sorry for brief reply - we never got that far. But you should find some useful info like this.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.