Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Fine at home, but accidents at nursery

baabaapinksheep · 12/04/2011 15:18

I started potty training DD1 just before her 2nd birthday, she took to it really well and was out of nappies during the day after about 6 weeks. She has just turned 3, and probably has about 1 accident a week (usually a poo) and has been dry at night for about a month.

The problem though, is that she still has a lot of accidents at nursery, sometimes 2 or 3 a day. I've tried bribing her, saying she gets a sticker/chocolate if she manages the whole daywithout an accident, which didn't work. I got her a potty to use at nursery, which worked for a couple of weeks, but now she's back to having accidents.

I don't know what to do anymore, besides putting her in pull-ups for nursery, but that seems like two steps forwards, ones step back IYSWIM.

OP's posts:
Please
or

missmapp · 12/04/2011 15:20

DS1 did this, I think they become v. engrossed in whatever they are doing and forget. Ds used to have his accidents mostly when he was in the garden- dont worry, you could mention it to nursery so they are aware it isnt happening at home. Remeber, you are there at home to pick up on the jiggle clues wheras they can get missed at nursery- thats no bad thing as it teaches them to listen to those cues themselves.

Please
or

wolfhound · 12/04/2011 15:37

My DS did this for a little while. One day he just volunteered the information to me that he didn't go to the potty at nursery because he wanted to use 'the big boy loo' but there was only one, and another child always got there first. I told his keyworker, who made sure he got his chance, and no more accidents. Recently he told me that he always 'dashes out before the end of snacktime' to get to the big boy loo first. If your DD is only having occasional accidents at home there is probably an environmental reason why it's happening at nursery (engrossed as missmapp says, or a bit timid around the rush of other children, etc.) You could try asking DD why she has accidents. She might not tell you straight away (DS didn't) but she might speak up a week or two later and give you some insight. At some point it will probably sort itself out.

Please
or

baabaapinksheep · 12/04/2011 15:47

Thanks for your replies.

I asked the nursery a while ago to ask her every hour if she needs the loo, and they've tried taking her to the big loo instead, which she did like for a while, but so far nothing has really helped. I wouldn't mind so much but its been going on for nearly a year now.

OP's posts:
Please
or

wolfhound · 13/04/2011 09:09

Oh, a year is a long time. She's still quite young though. I didn't potty train DS until he was nearly 3, and at 3.5 he still has some accidents. Maybe wait a few months, and see if it sorts itself out. Sorry, I know that doesn't sound very helpful. Also - does anyone other than you/nursery look after your DD at all? Does she have accidents with them?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.