Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

leaky nappies at night causing big problems

N10mum · 03/03/2011 15:04

Advice please!

My almost 3 son has been happily potty trained for nearly 2 months. Days are great, very few accidents. But, in the last week his night nappies (we have tried so many sorts) are leaking, waking him up. He gets confused and really upset as we try to change him and his wet bed. It then takes ages to calm him, get a new nappy on, get him back into bed and back to sleep.

Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

KATC2010 · 03/03/2011 19:43

Well done on the potty training and sorry to hear about the night problem.

I was just wondering if you could get him to drink less in the early evening - maybe get him to drink more a bit earlier in the late afternoon. Also, have you thought about trying to change his nappy before you go to bed yourself - if it's a few hours after he has gone off it may enable him to get to morning then without being soaked through.

I can often manage to change my almost 3 yr old this way. We use Pampers BTW and they're usually fine but I have noticed that if the tabs aren't pulled around the side of the waist properly they can leak.

Also, can you go up to a bigger size - even if not needed weight wise it can help with extra absorbency.

Good luck!

Please
or

N10mum · 03/03/2011 20:31

Thanks so much for your advice. Am a bit reluctant to disturb his sleep by doing a change as we go to bed, but will certainly bear that in mind as a last resort. Omens are better tonight: DS managed a huge wee on the potty after tea. Last drink was 6pm (earlier than usual) and he managed another small wee on the loo just before bedtime an hour and a bit later. DH said he managed to get a good tight fit on the nappy tonight too - never easy with a wriggling toddler who doesn't want to wear nappies...! Have also chatted to DS lots today about last night, giving lots of praise for how clever he is using potty and loo during the day and saying it is just a bit of bad luck if some wee comes out of his nappy in the night. He says if we need to do a nappy change tonight he will let me do it 'with no fuss at all'... Really hoping we will have a better night tonight. If not, I'm buying bigger nappies first thing tomorrow...

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.