Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

when is too soon to give up night-time nappies?

petitfromage · 03/02/2011 21:02

My 3yo boy has been dry at night for at least 2 weeks and I'm starting to wonder if this is the right time to drop nappies altogether?

He was only fully potty trained about 6 weeks ago (late developer bless him, although to be fair he has only just turned 3) but he took to it straight away and we've had no wet nights for ages. He goes to the toilet just before bed at 7 then again in the morning so I guess he knows what he's doing? He's said he doesn't need nappies but I'm worried a wet night would set him back. Also I don't relish the idea of lots of wet bedding to wash...

Any advice from more experienced potty trainers very welcome as I'm very new to this!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BaroqueAroundTheClock · 03/02/2011 21:06

I'd take them off now if he's been dry for at least 2 weeks.

my DS2 did this - he had a run of dry nights (not sure how many - was still contending with DS1's night wetting) in his pull-ups and then one day told me he didn't want us to buy nappies as he didn't want to wear them any more.

I bought a mattress protector and we never looked back - he was 3 1/2yrs at the time - we've had less than 10 accidents (and many of those only "close shaves" - ie a little bit comes out but most in the toilet) ad he'll be 8 later this year!

My SIL's little girl was dry day and night at 20 months

Please
or

Azure · 03/02/2011 21:07

I would seize the moment and drop the night nappies. DS2 was the same - after a few days of him being dry at night very soon after he was potty trained I ditched the nappies, and didn't look back. Over 2 years later he has only wet the bed once I think.

Please
or

petitfromage · 03/02/2011 21:24

Awesome thanks so much for advice (btw apologies for double posting, my computer keeps shutting down and I've no idea whether it has sent messages or not).

I'm out tomorrow night (rare girls night out woohhoo, single mummy heaven!) so think I'll buy mattress cover saturday and try first no nappy night that night.

Still feels a bit like skydiving without a parachute...oh and does anyone else with only one child admit to having a slight pang about missing nappies???? Or does that just make me weird?!! My baby's all grown up...
Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.