My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Heavy periods after baby

1 reply

Shutterbye · 27/01/2024 19:34

I have always had quite light periods but after having a baby 4 months ago my periods are really heavy. I have had 3 so far and am bleed through a maternity pad and super plus tampon in about an hour and a half. I’m also getting clots which I’ve never had prior to having a baby. Has anyone had anything similar and did it settle back down to normal? I’m starting to worry about being out the house for too long on the heaviest days!

OP posts:
ditzzy · 27/01/2024 22:39

Yes, I had this, although I don’t recall how long it went on for. The first few periods after dd2 was born I kept getting flood events. during my period I’d get really crampy and then get incredibly heavy bleeding shortly after. It would be on and off for a few days.

It happened on a train on the way to work on one occasion, (so it must have been six months after to be back in the office) I foolishly thought it was a normal period day so had packed two pads for the whole day, as soon as I sat on the train I got cramps, so sat really really still for the whole hour, felt it all rush out when I stood up and went straight to the station toilet. I had to buy an extra pack of pads and some wet wipes to make sure I was ready for the rest of the day.

Nothing like that before or since - although my cycles have been a bit unpredictable ever since, much shorter; but as long as they don’t go back to being heavy like that I don’t mind.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.