My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

High BMI - postpartum weight loss

5 replies

nightowl89 · 22/12/2023 19:49

Hi,

I gave birth a week ago to a baby girl who weighed 7lbs 15oz. My BMI before being pregnant was 37.9 - so on the higher side. I only gained a stone in weight during pregnancy and have weighed myself for the first time today (after eating and drinking) and I'm 2 stone down from my weight at my booking appointment.

While on the face of it this is good I can't help but be a bit concerned as I'm currently waiting on a two week referral for the breast clinic due to a lump under my armpit.

Has anyone else with a higher BMI ended up weighing less than pre-pregnancy?

OP posts:
katherine123x · 23/12/2023 12:33

Hi. I weighed 3 stone less about a week after giving birth than I did the day before. And about 1.5 stone less than my booking appt!

Put it down to a lot of sickness and pregnancy and loss of appetite

SiouxsieSiouxStiletto · 23/12/2023 13:30

I'm not on the bigger side bit I definitely weighed less at that stage than pre-pregnancy. I hope the lump turns out to be nothing Flowers

ChrisPackhamsYellowFleece · 23/12/2023 13:37

If you think about it, you've been walking around with the equivalent of an SAS backpack (baby, amniotic fluid, placenta, etc) so it's not surprising you might have burned off a little if you were being careful about weight gain during pregnancy.

rainbowtea23 · 27/12/2023 20:11

I put on less than a stone with my first then due to preeclampsia and having a lot of fluid I ended up being 3.5 stone down just after he was born. Have edited post as meant to add my BMI was 41 at booking in.

nightowl89 · 27/12/2023 22:41

Thanks all for your replies, really reassuring to hear your experiences and know that the weight loss isn't necessarily anything sinister.

I can definitely tell that a lot of my extra fluid etc. has massively reduced, my carpal tunnel is no longer playing up and my resting heart rate has returned to 56 so happy days!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.