My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

C section wound - 14 days

17 replies

ttcttc · 11/11/2023 09:36

I had my baby two weeks ago today.

My wound has been sore but they'd suggested I'd be a bit more sore than usual due to having to stitch me up quick due to blood loss. However seemed to be healing ok. I'm still a bit bruised and swollen but thought I was on the mend.

A couple of days ago I was in agony. Crying with the pain. Put it down to not keeping on top of my pain relief so started taking that a bit more regular and seemed to ease off. I thought it smelt a bit so give it all a better wash - thought it could be due to me sweating etc (I'm not slim so due to belly and swelling it is under a bit of a overhang)

This morning I've noticed one side of my scar is oozing liquid. Oozing and running into my knickers/down my legs. I've been putting a clean sanitary towel (panty liner) on there to catch the liquid and keep it dry/clean/protected. The liquid is mostly yellow and smells a little fishy although not overly offensive and I don't think you'd smell it unless you smelt the liner or liquid directly.

Is this normal or should I get it looked at? Who do I call - 111? Midwife's (I'm discharged but baby isn't) ? Health visitor (doesn't work weekends)? GP (closed as its Saturday)? Or should I just wait and see what happens.

I'm having a bit of a crap time so feel a bit numb, it's hurting a little but not sure if I'm blocking it out. I could be worrying about nothing too. I don't have too much of a fuss in me today to be honest.

OP posts:
dumpkin · 11/11/2023 09:38

sounds like an infection, call 111

MariaVT65 · 11/11/2023 09:46

I would call your maternjty ward first for advice tbh. If they don’t help, call 111. I’d be immediately concerned about that as an infection.

Loopytiles · 11/11/2023 09:47

Yeah, get medical advice

hellohellothere · 11/11/2023 09:47

Yes repeating what pp said, call the maternity ward or 111 if that fails. It's in an infection it needs to be seen asap.

hellohellothere · 11/11/2023 09:48

You'd definitely be seen today

AgaMM · 11/11/2023 09:49

Call the maternity ward or the midwife team who looked after you. It’s only been two weeks so you should still be under their care.

Mummymummy89 · 11/11/2023 09:50

Definitely get seen asap, it shouldn't be oozing like that. They'll be able to give you antibiotics and then you'll be right as rain, but it could get much worse if you don't get treated

Frostine · 11/11/2023 09:51

Could you take a photo and post ?
There will be people on here that would advise, possibly even medical staff with the correct advice.

MujeresLibres · 11/11/2023 10:00

I would agree with PPs, try to get hold of one of the midwives on the ward but if not, go to a walk-in or something. I've had an infected wound, it isn't necessarily anything to worry about, but it does need to be medically managed (either antibiotics, regular dressing changes etc).

ttcttc · 11/11/2023 10:07

This reply has been withdrawn

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

ttcttc · 11/11/2023 10:08

39and · 11/11/2023 10:08

That does look like it could be infected. Definitely get seen today x

MariaVT65 · 11/11/2023 10:08

Op please just call the maternity ward immediately!

amidsummernightsdream · 11/11/2023 10:10

Please get it seen to asap. It sounds like it is infected and will only get worse. I didnt noticed mine was infected and got terribly ill. I know its hard with a newborn but prioritise getting this sorted today

amidsummernightsdream · 11/11/2023 10:13

Do you have the number for your midwife? I imagine it will be easier to call or text them rather than going through 111.
I understand the feeling of not wanting the fuss and it feeling like to big a thing to sort. They will help you though 💙

SomethingAboutNothing · 11/11/2023 10:33

You will still be under the maternity services until 28 days postnatal. You need to call the Pregnancy assessment unit or postnatal ward to be reviewed as it sounds a lot like a wound infection which can turn nasty if not treated.

ttcttc · 11/11/2023 10:51

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.