My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Anyone seen the GP with anal skin tags?

15 replies

First time mom. · 27/01/2023 20:21

I have skin tags at the bottom of my anus probably the size of two peas. Been struggling with it since the birth of my child 9 months ago and seriously had enough now. The main reason being personal hygiene. I just wondered if anyone had seen a GP with this size skin tag and what the GP said?
Online it talks about being put to sleep which sounds so scary, but I am only in my twenties and I don't feel like I can live with this for the rest of my life!
Thanks in advance.

OP posts:
JessyBlooms · 20/06/2023 11:30

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

redladycake · 24/09/2023 15:29

I’ve just had 3 skin tags removed under general anaesthetic. I was really scared of going under, but it was actually fine, I would honestly choose it now over a local. It was so easy, like falling asleep for a few minutes.

ive had these tags for a decade and was sick of feeling pain and feeling so unattractive. Would only have sex in the dark so that OH never saw them. It’s not a nice life.

im in mild discomfort now 2 days later. When I feel around down there it feels like nothing has changed but I hope that’s just swelling. Haven’t managed a 💩 yet, I’m really scared. Will need to consider laxatives if nothing happens by tomorrow, desperately trying to avoid becoming constipated. Really hope it pays off getting the operation. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

First time mom. · 25/09/2023 10:33

Thank you. Still not had it done as was advised to wait until I had finished having children.
Would be interested to hear how it looks once all healed to see if it's worth it.
We're yours large?
Thanks for replying.

OP posts:
EachPeachPearGlum · 25/09/2023 16:31

I went to the GUM clinic about mine as I considered them more experts in that down-below area. I felt they were better set up to review and comment than a GP. All the best

Ezzy1984 · 14/10/2023 12:34

Hi first time mum. I got my first skin tag back in 2015 from my dd. I went on to have another dd in 2017 which made the skin tag worse, well in my eyes. Finally in 2023 after separating from my children's dad and meeting a new partner I decided to do something about it as I was starting to become quite embarrassed about it. I went the gp who told me a complete horror story and said it had to be 5cm long before the NHS would even touch it. No way was I waiting for it to get that big, so I went private. I am 5 days in to my surgery. I will be happy to post an update at the end of day 14 as right now I am not feeling very positive. I will be happy to share my experience though and happy to answer any questions you might have.

First time mom. · 14/10/2023 17:07

Thank you for your reply.
Did you have it under GA or local?

OP posts:
Ezzy1984 · 14/10/2023 17:16

I had it under GA. The surgeon I went to, that was the only way he did it and when he asked do I really want to be sat there awake with my bum in the air knowing whats going on... I thought no I do not. It did cost more and he did both of my skin tags at the same time and after speaking to two other companies who did it under local and not feeling comfortable in what they were offering it was a no brainer for me to with GA.

MuffyRogers · 16/10/2023 02:50

Ezzy1984 · 14/10/2023 12:34

Hi first time mum. I got my first skin tag back in 2015 from my dd. I went on to have another dd in 2017 which made the skin tag worse, well in my eyes. Finally in 2023 after separating from my children's dad and meeting a new partner I decided to do something about it as I was starting to become quite embarrassed about it. I went the gp who told me a complete horror story and said it had to be 5cm long before the NHS would even touch it. No way was I waiting for it to get that big, so I went private. I am 5 days in to my surgery. I will be happy to post an update at the end of day 14 as right now I am not feeling very positive. I will be happy to share my experience though and happy to answer any questions you might have.

Can I ask how much this cost please?

Ezzy1984 · 16/10/2023 07:53

Hi @MuffyRogers it cost £2015 + £170 consultation fee. It was one of the more expensive ones but they did the two skin tags at the same time. Some clinics have a starting price then charge extra for extra tags. Also this was under GA and not local. For me I wanted to go with the surgeon who made me feel most comfortable and that when this was over it would be worth it and not leave me looking worse. I am only 6 days in to recovery so I might still be regretting my decision and gut instinct yet 🙈🙉🙊

Smargetts · 25/11/2023 13:09

@Ezzy1984 I am looking into going private for tag removal. Can I ask how you are feeling now a month on?

Ezzy1984 · 25/11/2023 13:47

@Smargetts so I am 6 weeks on now, I had a check up this week and I am happy to say I am feeling better than ever. The first 2 weeks (I had quite a bit piece taken away) of my surgery were tough and painful. Now though it is like a distant memory. I still have some small swelling which should settle in another 3 to 4 weeks. Overall though I feel so much more confident in my self and the result is amazing. The only thing I am gutted about is that it is an area you can't go round showing off!! 😁 if any of my friends came to me and was considering it because of how it made them feel, I would tell them not to hesitate. The pain at the beginning is worth it.

Smargetts · 26/11/2023 23:41

@Ezzy1984 Thank you, I will have to have a big bit done too 🙈. Thank you for the honestly ref pain and swelling. it's nice to know how long realistically the healing process is.

Hoping to sort before I am due back to work 😅

So pleased you are feeling good. x

Ezzy1984 · 27/11/2023 09:15

@Smargetts you are very welcome. I am happy to answer anything you want to ask

Good luck if you get it done. It is worth it. The salt baths and laxatives were my best friend x

Smargetts · 15/12/2023 21:10

@redladycake How are you now?

I will have 3 to be removed also.

how was the first toilet would you suggest laxatives from the start.

I have actually been referred by an NHS surgeon for removal which I was shocked at as the Dr before told me it wasn't covered on NHS.

Smargetts · 07/01/2024 22:59

@Muffyrogers How are you feeling now?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.