My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

How to ease pain and dry up milk when stopping bf’ing?

3 replies

Pregnantthenscrewed · 10/08/2022 22:39

My LO is 5 months and I decided to quit breastfeeding 7 days ago. I had been slowly decreasing feeds for a while so I didn’t have a huge supply. But my boobs are so swollen and hard! And leaking! I have a hot shower every morning to massage them but it doesn’t seem to help? Tonight I massaged them again and noticed when I pressed down loads of milk squirted out which gave me amazing relief and they are now less hard! I am just worried that this will have stimulated my milk supply? How long until my boobs go back to normal and stop making milk? Thanks!

OP posts:
CatSeany · 10/08/2022 22:42

Just hand express until you're comfortable. To some extent it will trigger supply, but because you're only triggering a really small amount your supply will still reduce. Much better than running the risk of mastitis!

pedropony76 · 10/08/2022 22:44

First of all, cold compress asap. Ice packs or whatever you have.

The internet says to hand express just a little but it still stimulates your breasts and produces more so don’t do that (told this by my GP). I stopped expressing for DD last year when she was around 3 months. I was super engorged and ended up with mastitis.

The pain was so bad I had to call 111 and a Doctor prescribed me with domperidone. Maybe call and try and ask for that if your breasts become really painful? I tried it the natural way with cold compress and other things for 7 days but the pain was too much. Sorry I don’t have any more advice! Hope you’re okay, it’s horrible

Catclown · 10/08/2022 23:31

Have you tried putting cabbage leaves in your bra? Sounds crazy, worked for me many years ago. Hope you get some relief soon

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.