My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Anyone else struggled with low blood pressure? Any tips?

14 replies

newtolineofduty · 20/07/2022 19:45

Hi ladies, looking for some tips with something I've not really encountered before. I'm struggling with what I believe to be low blood pressure symptoms (will get it checked) towards the end of the day in particular. I'm wondering if the (potentially) low blood pressure could be due to the amount of blood loss during and after my c-section (I didn't need a transfusion but lost more than usual and also bled for five weeks after the section including passing a huge blood clot).

Did anyone else experience this and how soon did it return to normal? I've just been looking at other threads on tips to increase it and plan to buy some salted crisps! I'm drinking plenty of water and having around three caffeinated drinks across the course of the day! I'm feeling really awful late afternoon and evening so any tips much appreciated!

TIA x

OP posts:
prettylittlethingss · 20/07/2022 19:57

Following. I ended up having pretty low blood pressure after giving birth. (Natural, pretty standard birth no extreme blood loss). 9 months pp currently and still very dizzy and weak. I had tests at 5 months pp and nothing came of it.

newtolineofduty · 20/07/2022 20:06

@prettylittlethingss thanks for your reply. It's really awful isn't it? Do you feel dizzy and weak all day or is it pretty constant? Does it vary day to day? My symptoms always present themselves later in the day when I read blood pressure tends to reduce. I feel fuzzy headed/sometimes struggle to follow conversations etc. I don't think the heat helps! X

OP posts:
newtolineofduty · 20/07/2022 20:07

@prettylittlethingss sorry I mean does the dizziness/weakness fluctuate xx

OP posts:
C8H10N4O2 · 20/07/2022 20:31

Is your BP normally on the low end? I've always had low BP and it was worse post nataly - I used to get horribly dizzy and generally just felt lousy. Salt and fluids may help whilst you are post natal, as well as foods recommended for low iron but you will need more rest and help until its closer to normal.

I was told that low BP in women (not just post nataly) isn't that rare but its not considered s a problem in the UK even when severe and long term. I was told I was "lucky", despite being so dizzy at times I was afraid to pick up the children. Its odd because in other parts of Europe it is treated if persistent and debilitating. I have wondered if men suffered from it whether the approach would be different!

NeverHadABetterBitOfButter · 20/07/2022 20:33

Are you sure you're not anaemia? Sounds more like that

NeverHadABetterBitOfButter · 20/07/2022 20:33

Anaemic

LadyGardenersQuestionTime · 20/07/2022 20:40

I don't think you can assume it’s low blood pressure - it could be loads of things. A blood pressure monitor is only about £10, try checking your bp at the same time morning and evening for a week or so to see what happens. But I’d also be thinking about thyroid, B12, dehydration or just being knackered looking after a small baby (how old is your baby?).

newtolineofduty · 21/07/2022 04:22

Thanks for your replies ladies. My iron levels are fine and my thyroid is ok too. Years and years ago I remember having a low blood pressure reading but as far as I can remember since then it's always been 'normal' but I'm not sure of my usual-ish reading so could have been on the lower end of normal. My mum has one of those machines so will keep an eye on it for a week! X

OP posts:
RockinHorseShit · 21/07/2022 05:36

Get your B12 checked & get a copy of the results

newtolineofduty · 21/07/2022 06:24

Will look in to B12 stuff thank you xxx

OP posts:
sarahc336 · 21/07/2022 06:27

My blood pressure is always on the lower side but I struggled really badly with it in early pregnancy both times. For me plenty of rest, fluids, eating, also getting up from sitting laying down slowly, when it feels really bad to just sit down for a minute or two. I ended up with quite low iron both pregnancies and needed the iron tablets they can prescribe so maybe this is linked, something to watch out for op. X

MayISuggestSomeThickCutSteakChipsToGoWithThat · 21/07/2022 07:40

Half a teaspoon of salt in some water. That's what was recommended to me by the neurologist for my low blood pressure. I can tell when mine is low because I crave salty things

RockinHorseShit · 21/07/2022 07:45

Oh & liquorice raise BP significantly, though you'll still need to get to the root cause

prettylittlethingss · 21/07/2022 15:37

C8H10N4O2 · 20/07/2022 20:31

Is your BP normally on the low end? I've always had low BP and it was worse post nataly - I used to get horribly dizzy and generally just felt lousy. Salt and fluids may help whilst you are post natal, as well as foods recommended for low iron but you will need more rest and help until its closer to normal.

I was told that low BP in women (not just post nataly) isn't that rare but its not considered s a problem in the UK even when severe and long term. I was told I was "lucky", despite being so dizzy at times I was afraid to pick up the children. Its odd because in other parts of Europe it is treated if persistent and debilitating. I have wondered if men suffered from it whether the approach would be different!

This is very interesting! I also wonder if it was common within men it would be dealt with better.

I fainted 3 times in my first few months pp and I went to my GP so said there was nothing that could be done and that my blood pressure is low. I said I've got a newborn baby what if I fainted whilst holding him.. and was still sent away!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.