My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Breastfeeding weaning anxiety

4 replies

Mumof2boys1girl · 12/06/2022 06:27

Has anyone experienced anxiety/ depression and or intense physical side effects from
weaning from breastfeeding? I stopped feeding my daughter at the beginning of last month after 2 years of breastfeeding. We had been winding down leading up to this and she was only on one feed a day by this point. I expected a level of personal upheaval as I experienced intense anxiety and depression when I weaning my son at 17 months but I quicklY fell pregnant with my daughter and I think that impacted my hormones. All told I have been pretty much continually pregnant or breastfeeding for 5 years so I know I will be experiencing a big change in hormones. This time I’m really struggling. I have intense anxiety/ low mood/ feelings of panic etc. my first period since weaning was HORRENDOUS- I had the worst pmt I have ever experienced and I had a terrible series of migraines (3 in 4 days) with terrible auras that took well over a week to recover from. I’m also experiencing disturbed sleep, dizziness, restlessness and hot flushes. It’s about 5 weeks since we fully weaned. I just wondered how long I can reasonably expect this to last before I need to seriously seek help (I have submitted a self referral for CBT but the wait is LOOOONG). I experienced bad post natal depression when I had my daughter and only recently weaned off of anti-depressants which I know is also likely to be at play here but also means I am keen not to re-start any medication as it was very intense adjusting to taking and then stopping these meds and the side effects were not fun! Has anyone had a similar experience?

OP posts:
Ilu02155 · 18/06/2022 14:23

Hi,
I am in the same boat as breastfed my daughter until she was 20 months old and gradually stopped breastfeeding. Finally weaned 2 weeks ago and I am so anxious and on edge all the time! Hoping it’ll get easier in a few weeks but I was so relieved to see your post and know I’m not alone in these feelings!
How are you feeling now? Hope it’s got easier for you x

Mumof2boys1girl · 18/06/2022 20:24

You’re definitely not alone, I thought I was going insane when I experienced similar after weaning my son and so was nervous expecting it this time round. Frantic googling suggests it can take 6-8 weeks for hormones to settle so I guess time will tell (Im currently 6 weeks in and anxiety is still HIGH). Fingers crossed things settle for both of us soon. Sending understanding hugs your way x

OP posts:
Nicola8787 · 25/01/2024 08:24

How long did it take this to go? I had this whenever I dropped a feed and now I have again two weeks since fully weaning . I just can’t seem to nod off at night and if I didn’t have strong sleeping meds I’d be awake all night which has happened many times . Also loss of appetite?! Hope it got better for you

potterface29 · Today 07:49

Hi I know it’s been a while but wanted to know how your all doing? I’m experiencing the same severe anxiety at stopping breastfeeding and just need to know if it gets better?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.